Operating System - HP-UX
1748163 Members
3850 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Resize root filesystem using Ignite? (HP-UX 11.23 IA64)

SOLVED
Go to solution
aeronet
Frequent Advisor

Resize root filesystem using Ignite? (HP-UX 11.23 IA64)

Hi,

I want to resize the root filesystem of a HP-UX 11.23. I've already resized the logical volume of the root lv (/dev/vg00/lvol3) to the new size using the LVM maintance mode. My last problem is the file system resize with extendfs. I've no OnlineJFS ...

I need a kind of an HP-UX LiveCD with the LVM and VXFS tools installed. I've already tried the HP-UX installation DVD recovery shell. But this recovery shell is not very useful. Now I've build an ISO image with the make_media_install script. I want to know: Are the tools located on this 300MB ISO image, before I reboot the server or has anybody other ideas?

Thank you
8 REPLIES 8
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

When you recover your Ignite image, you are given the opportunity to size the root volume file systems, just like during an install. Just boot from the media and follow the menus.

Pete

Pete
aeronet
Frequent Advisor

Hi Pete,

I've it done using Ignite-UX Media with the following steps:

1. Boot Ignite-UX Media CD (Expert Recovery Shell)

# loadfile /sbin/lvchange /sbin/vgchange /sbin/vgscan /sbin/vgimport /sbin/vgdisplay
# vgscan
# mkdir /dev/vg00
# mknod /dev/vg00/group c 64 0x000000 # 0x000000 in this case!
# vgimport -p -v /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/c4t0d0s2 # /dev/dsk/c4t0d0s2 in this case!
# vgimport -v /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/c4t0d0s2 # /dev/dsk/c4t0d0s2 in this case!
# vgchange -a y /dev/vg00 # Activate the VG
# loadfile /sbin/fs/vxfs5.0/extendfs /sbin/fs/vxfs5.0/fsck /sbin/fs/vxfs/fsck /sbin/fs_wrapper /sbin/fs/vxfs /sbin/fs/vxfs5.0 /sbin/fs/vxfs5.0/fstyp
# ln -s /sbin/fs/vxfs/fsck /sbin/
# /sbin/fs/vxfs5.0/extendfs /dev/vg00/rlvol3

My last question is, it's possible and easier to do that using the "(1) Install HP-UX" option in the Ignite-UX menu? I've was afraid of doing that ;)
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Actually, you need to select the install option to make your life easier. When you do fs resize on the recovery shell, are you sure that you are not corrupting some other volume ? If you choose the ignite build the system, process will give you the option of resizing your filesystems including / and will go ahead restoring the contents of each filesystem, regardless of their previous positions on the root disk(s).

I am not even sure if what you are doing is an option.

I'm with Mel - never heard of anyone trying to do what you're proposing. Just install and it will put your root volume back exactly as it was, but with adjust FS sizes.

Pete

Pete
aeronet
Frequent Advisor

Re,

I want to summarize up your suggestions to resize the root filesystem:

1. Boot from an HP-UX Ignite medium
2. Select option 1 (Install HP-UX)
3. After that you have interface like SAM to resize all LVs and filesystems? right?

Sorry, I've never done before and I've no test machine or so ;)
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor
Solution

That is right. You select install HPUX option and when prompted for FS sizing, modify the sizes of / and whatever else you need. Other than / and /stand, you can resize the rest after your server is online, provided you have enough space, but if you are planning to change the sizes of other filesystems, this might be an opportunity to do so.

Good luck.

Hi:

Choose the 'install' option and select the 'Advanced' mode. Then, use the "Filesystem" tab to resize the filesystems according to your taste. Be sure to specify only the disk you want for vg00.

Regards!

...JRF...
aeronet
Frequent Advisor

It's now clear for how it works.

Thank you all.