5492 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Updating Ignite-UX version

Vishu
Trusted Contributor

Updating Ignite-UX version

Hi,

I am planning to do an Ignite-UX version upgrade for all HP-UX servers here including HP-UX 11.11, 11.23 and 11.31 (PA-RISC and Integrity both).

Just want to know, if this updation of ignite-ux version can cause any problems during recovery of OS? because i heard about some version mismatch while loading from a boothelper CD and then doing the restore. is it so, then plz guide me how should i proceed?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

I've worked extensively with ignite over many years and have not run into a "boothelper CD" before.  I haven't found a reference to one in the ignite Admin Guide either. Not sure what it is your working with. Can you provide more insight? The only boot helpers I've worked with are DHCP or BOOTP boot helper servers.  They should be upgraded at the same time as the ignite server.

It is advisable to update all your ignite clients and servers at the same time. However, ignite will normally still allow older clients to make recovery images to newer servers.  Start your upgrade with the Ignite server(s) and then upgrade your clients as rapidly as allowed.

An older version ignite image should still boot up and install even if your server is newer than the image. 

Ken Grabowski
Respected Contributor

Just saw your other post where you were recommend to use the "two step media recovery" procedure. Yes your bootable CD and your "tape recovery image" must use the same version of ignite.

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The boothelper CD is a bootable image that can be used when the Ignite server is not on the same subnet. It is the same as a boothelper system but more portable. Yes, you'll have to recreate the boothelper CDs with the new version.  Upgrading Ignite is fairly easy unless the current version is very old (more than 5 years). In that case, swremove all the Ignite components and then installl the new version.

When you update the Ignite server, it is a good time to look at the archives to make sure the right number of archives exist. Some servers can have 5 or 10 (or more) old images due to aborts and other problems that leave the CINDEX file out of sync with the archives. Look at the CINDEX file for each client to see what should be kept and delete the extras.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Vishu
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Bill and Ken for your inputs.

Bill, you mentioned as updating IUX version and then re-creating boothelpder CD. This is what i am confused with.

The scenario is:-

I bought a server along with HP-UX OS (11.23 or 11.31). Now It came along with default IUX version, which is running fine. now i m updating IUX version by downloading from web. i think the ignite backup will run fine.

but my question is -  during recovery, when i boot my server from boothelper CD and then starts recovery from ignite server. Will it work? as the boothelper CD came with different IUX version and ignite backup taken recently is with different IUX version.

If it won't work, then what i need to do in this case to avoid any such scenarios.

Thanks

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

This "boot helper" is usually needed if you boot a PA-RISC system from another subnet. It boots the ignite kernel and the screen for interactive installs.
Most newer Itanium based system don't need this, because you can boot them from EFI via "lanboot".

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Vishu
Trusted Contributor

agreed, but it does not answer my question.

I am asking will it work if i boot from boothelper CD which i got while server purchase (having default IUX version) to recover OS which is taken after updating IUX version to latest level?

will i be able to recover OS in this case?

Thanks

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

If you ask for recommendation, most will say "use the same version". You can only test, if this set of mixed versions will work.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You will need to update / recreate your boot helper CD.

I think this thread should have the basic instruction:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Ignite-UX/Ignite-boot-helper-CD/td-p/3012160

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

...will the boothelper CD work...?

The answer is maybe. But if you need to use the boothelper, it is usually in a serious situation (restoring the OS) and that is not the time to find out that the old boothelper is incompatible. You can follow Patrick's suggestion on how to create new CDs.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin