Verification on make_net_recovery and exporting of vg's

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jeffrey Davis_1
Frequent Advisor

Verification on make_net_recovery and exporting of vg's

Hi folks,
My question if for confirmation only.
I added a client to the Ignite GUI and asked Ignite to "create a recovery archive" via make_net_recovery through the GUI. During this archive creation process it goes out and checks the client system for various things.
I told it I only wanted to archive all of vg00 as a test.
I noticed that it goes out and does an export on all the vg's. Is it best practice to have the system in single user mode or is it ok to create an archive while the vg is in use?
The process finished without any noted errors, so I presume that all is ok.
Thanks in advance,
2 REPLIES 2
Vincenzo Restuccia
Honored Contributor

Re: Verification on make_net_recovery and exporting of vg's

Verify the boot from the tape,if it is ok the make_recovery is ok.
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Verification on make_net_recovery and exporting of vg's

Both make_recovery and make_net_recovery are copying the essential parts of the root volume group, only what is necessary to restore to make a system bootable. (For a listing of what is considered core/essential, see the man page for make_recovery and make_net_recovery).

From that perspective it does not matter if the system is in use or not. Single user mode is NOT required and I have never seen it recommended.

From a system usage standpoint, you might want to run a recovery archive when the system is not at peak usage. Some people have even put the recovery command in cron. (Use the search tab at the left, search make_recovery and cron as keywords, click the box for forum.)
"Downtime is a Crime."