Operating System - HP-UX
1753793 Members
6916 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What does "in part" really means (doing a net recovery)

What does "in part" really means (doing a net recovery)

Hello,

For the record I'm using Ignite B.2.6.358 on HP-UX 11.00.

I've got a system I want to archive through the network with Ignite, that has 3 VGs, two of them on an EMC disk array (the third being on local disks).

Ignite says it's gonna archive the whole vg00 which is fine, but will leave "untouched" the first VG sitting on the EMC, while archiving "in part" the second VG sitting on the EMC.

I'm OK with "untouched" since when recovering, the VG will simply be imported -- and that's exactly what I want, but "in-part" bothers me. I couldn't find any explanation of what "in-part" really means and I don't want to risk blowing that VG away.

Does this ring a bell to anybody?
2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: What does "in part" really means (doing a net recovery)

"In part" means that there are certain filesystems or logical volumes that will be archived from that particular VG.

Here is an excerpt from the man page for make_net_recovery:

The contents of the system recovery archive will always include all
files and directories which are considered essential to bringing up a
functional system. This "essential" list is pre-defined by make_net_recovery.

What make_net_recovery is saying is that your VG00 and part of VG01, or whatever it is, will be included because they make up the "essential list" of files / logical volumes.

Look in the file /var/opt/ignite/clients/0x{LLA}/recovery/archive_content to see what specifically is being backed up. The LLA in the directory above is the MAC address of the client being backed up.

For more information look at the man page for make_net_recovery.

Re: What does "in part" really means (doing a net recovery)

I solved the problem finally. Thanks for the info.

One of the VGs had a LV mounted under /etc/opt/... And I figured that this was probably my problem. Exclude clauses didn't work, so I ended up umounting the LVs and deactivating the VG that gave me trouble.

That made Ignite happy.