Operating System - HP-UX
1752800 Members
5958 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Why does "make_tape_recovery" not copy all the files in vg00 to tape?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Douglas Reynard
Occasional Contributor

Why does "make_tape_recovery" not copy all the files in vg00 to tape?

My Command line: /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -AIv -t "Systemname and date Ignite" -a /dev/rmt/2mn 2>&1 | tee ignitelog.log

I've also tried: /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -AIv -x inc_entire=vg00 -t "Systemname and date Ignite" -a /dev/rmt/2mn 2>&1 | tee ignitelog.log

Can anyone tell me why I get this error message(bty: There are 27 files not included on the tape):

"WARNING: The volume group /dev/vg00 will be only partially included in the System Recovery Archive. This means that not all files and directories on this volume group will be restored when the archive is installed."

I have a list of the differences from what is actually on the tape and what is on my system. Most of the missing files are sockets or rpc. Why aren't these files included on the tape (even with -x inc_entire=vg00).

Has anyone had this experience?

Thanks,
Doug
3 REPLIES 3
Karen Elrod
Frequent Advisor

Re: Why does "make_tape_recovery" not copy all the files in vg00 to tape?

Hello Douglas,
I am not sure what you mean by make_tape_recovery. If it is a command for a 700 workstation then ignore this response. I think you want this command:
make_recovery -Avd /dev/rmt/2mn -t "Systemname and date ignite"

This command will backup up all of vg00.
Good Luck,
Karen
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

For anyone that is a bit behind on their Ignite/UX versions. As of version [A/B].3.2 HP is phasing out the make_recovery command. The new command is make_tape_recovery. The make_recovery command will still be available for a little while, but it will eventually be obsolete.

If you upgrade to Ignite/UX 3.2 and you use a script to do you backup, then you will want to look at make_tape_recovery and modify your script, as the options that you used with make_recovery are not the same options you will use with make_tape_recovery.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Doug:

The Ignite release notes for 3.2 note:

"Both make_net_recovery and make_tape_recovery may result in warning messages regarding temporary files that pax was not able to put into the archive. This is due to a design change such that there is a longer period of time between when the list of files to archive are generated and when pax is called. These warnings are safe to ignore and we plan to address this in a future release."

I've used Ignite 3.2 on active servers to capture all of vg00, including actively changing directories like /tmp and /var seen the warnings too without problem.

I use the following for make_tape_recovery:

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

...JRF...