Operating System - HP-UX
1752812 Members
6324 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: backing up a HPux system full and incremental with ignite and shell scripts

beaumont_1

backing up a HPux system full and incremental with ignite and shell scripts

Can full and incremental backups be set to run using ignite. If so how?. If i do a full system backup on sunday and incrementals for the rest of the week.
Whats the best way to do this through the week
If i put this all on crontab file can you give me an idea of the script i would use also
full and incremental backups on ignite or any other hp platform
2 REPLIES 2
Michael Duthie
Trusted Contributor

Ignite is not intended to be used as a backup application, it is a reinstallation tool. Use fbackup/frecover for backups/restores and use Ignite to take an image of vg00 after every major change or once a week.
Bernie Vande Griend
Respected Contributor

No. Ignite's make_recovery utility can be used to create a boot-able image of vg00 that can be used to fix boot-up problems and also for disaster recovery and system cloning purposes. We run make_recovery once a week on every system.

For complete and incremental backups, if you don't want to spend any money, use fbackup and frecover. The man pages explain it quite well. Basically you give fbackup an option of -0 for a complete backup and -1 through -9 for incremental backups. -1 will then backup everything since the last full backup, -2 since the last -1 backup and so on. Once you go back to a higher number like 0, the increments are reset back to that number. When you restore something, you will need to first restore your incremental tapes in proper order and finally the last full backup.
Ye who thinks he has a lot to say, probably shouldn't.