5245 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

cutting DAT tape from recovery archive

John Paine
Frequent Advisor

cutting DAT tape from recovery archive

Hi All,
this is probably a simple question and I've looked through the postings but can't find what I'm looking for.Basically I've set up a C360 as an Ignite server and have successfully done make_net_recovery and make_tape recovery.My question is:- how do I cut a tape from the archive created by my make_net recovery? I have a directory on my server that holds a full vg00 for all types of m/c...V-classs,N-class,all the C-classses etc and what I want to do is cut a tape of a C360 to take to a remote site and create a new system....hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance.
JP.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
4 REPLIES 4
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

Re: cutting DAT tape from recovery archive

Not sure if this answers the question or not.
I use make_recovery -vAC -d /dev/rmt/0m to make a bootable tape from the current system.
To use this tape with a different hardware setup, you have to interrupt the automatic load and change any file system parameters. This probably only works with compatible machine types. As my server farm is all C110's, I have not used this method to ignite other machine types.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
John Paine
Frequent Advisor

John,
thanks for the reply.Yes, I have used this method from the command line to create tapes.However, what I was trying to do was keep the archives in a directory on a sever (eg in the form of awk program text as produced by make_net_recovery - eg 2001-02-21,12:34 - and
then use a command to cut a bootable tape using this file.Can it be done? was basically my question.
So that rather than keeping a whole lot of DDS tapes somewhere, I would save my archives on the server.
Thanks,
JP.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
John Waller
Esteemed Contributor

John,
I don;'t believe that this will be possible. A make recovery tape is made up of more than 1 file. You have at least a boot area , mini system and also the full O/S area as seperate files. Make recovery puts these on the tape using PAX for some stuff but I don't know how the boot code is put onto the tape. By having a single file on you system unless a dd command will work I can't see how else you can get the seperate files onto a tape.
Bruce Regittko_1
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

I don't think you can just take a make_net_recovery archive and copy it to tape to effectively create a make_recovery tape. The problem is that a make_recovery tape has two files on it. The first is the boot lif image and the second is a tar file archive of the system. The make_net_recovery archive is neither.

What you can do is create a bootable tape with make_boot_tape(1m) to boot your remote, otherwise unbootable machine. The make_boot_tape has just enough on it so that it can point at your Ignite-UX server and get the archive for it. According the the make_boot_tape man page, this can be used to boot the machine and then recover from an Ignite server on another subnet.

--Bruce
www.stratech.com/training