Operating System - HP-UX
1748181 Members
3849 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

ignite ux ERROR: START: Kernel version 33 with OS release B.11.31 currently not supported

gr8_lkr
Advisor

ignite ux ERROR: START: Kernel version 33 with OS release B.11.31 currently not supported

Hello experts,  I have an issue with ignite on blade server.  I am suspecting some version errors but canoot seem to track it down entirely. ignite works fine on PA/RISC systems but not BLADE ,

here is the long and shoort of issue please put me on the right track:

CONFIGURATION

Server model (model): bl860c

Operating system (uname -a): HP-UX 11.31

Product: Ignite

Product version/patch level:

Non HP products/applications:

Other hardware/network components:

+ was advised to upgrade Ignite version

+ was upgraded

+ now gets error during make_net_recovery

* Checking Versions of Recovery Tools

* Scanning system for IO devices...

* Boot device is: 0/0/0/2/0/0/0.0x0.0x1010000c0000000

* Creating System Configuration.

* /opt/ignite/bin/save_config -f /var/opt/ignite/recovery/client_mnt/0x984BE15A2C26/re

covery/2012-04-20,11:02/system_cfg vg00

ERROR:   START: Kernel version 33 with OS release B.11.31 currently not supported.

ERROR:   The set_connection() failed!

save_config: Error - The list of VxVM disk groups on the system cannot be determined.

ERROR:   /opt/ignite/bin/save_config failed

+ the previous case was closed, but problem still affecting system

I upgraded ignite:

> swlist -l product | grep -i ignite

Ignite-UX             C.7.14.274     HP-UX System Installation Services

Its still giving me the same errors.

There were no patching changes, its been doing this since the initial install.

I have 4 other servers that are getting good ignites to the Ignite server. But they are all PA-RISC/RP class servers.

This is my first Itanium Blade class server that I've tried to build and ignite. First with HPUX 11.31, first with veritas 6.0. 

The ignite server is on an rp8420 running the following:

==========================================================

>uname -a

HP-UX worf B.11.11 U 9000/800 worf unlimited-user license

>swlist -l product | grep -i ignite

Ignite-UX             C.7.14.274     HP-UX System Installation Services

==========================================================

On the Blade server, here is the veritas version, maybe because version 6 is so new????

swlist -l product | grep -i veritas

VRTSaslapm            6.0.000.000    Array Support Libraries and Array Policy Modules for Veritas Volume Manager

VRTSdbed              6.0.000.000    Veritas Storage Foundation for Oracle by Symantec

VRTSfsadv             6.0.000.000    Veritas File System Adv

VRTSfssdk             6.0.000.000    Veritas File System Software Developer Kit

VRTSob                3.4.526.0      VERITAS Enterprise Administrator Service

VRTSodm               6.0.000.000    Veritas Oracle Disk Manager

VRTSperl              5.12.2.4       Perl 5.12.2 for Veritas

VRTSsfcpi60           6.0.000.000    Veritas Storage Foundation Installer

VRTSsfmh              4.1.119.0      Veritas Operations Manager Managed Host by Symantec

VRTSspt               6.0.000.000    Veritas Software Support Tools by Symantec

VRTSvxfs              6.0.000.000    VERITAS File System

VRTSvxvm              6.0.000.000    Veritas Volume Manager by Symantec

6 REPLIES 6
cdemelsl
Advisor

Re: ignite ux ERROR: START: Kernel version 33 with OS release B.11.31 currently not supported

Hi,

You may not be able to backup a 11iv3 system in to a 11.11 ignite server.

wci

pradeep m
Respected Contributor

Re: ignite ux ERROR: START: Kernel version 33 with OS release B.11.31 currently not supported

This issue might be due to the vertitas product v6.0 in the server which is not supported by  current Ignite-UX software version.

Ignite-UX version C.7.12 and greater supports only VxVM/VxFS versions 5.1 SP1*, 5.0, 4.1.

Please refer the Ignite-UX release notes for HP-UX 11i for details:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03010901/c03010901.pdf

Refer page #35: VxVM and VxFS Supported by Ignite-UX versions.

Regards,
Pradeep

I am an HP Employee
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HP Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

gr8_lkr
Advisor

Thank you very mucj for the response.  I am looking into this now. But having a hard time finding doc. to support that in fact this is NOT supported?

gr8_lkr
Advisor

Thank you very much for your response , that doc. helpful but still a bit confusing.  We are going to try the earlier version and see that that will take.  But was maybe looking to see if there will be a fix for the anytime soon?  and also will 11.11 to 11.31  work ?

pradeep m
Respected Contributor

You can backup or restore a HP-UX11.31 client from a HP-UX 11.11 Ignite-UX Server.

Please make sure that you meet the below conditions for successful Ignite backup and network recovery.

1. Ignite-UX Server should have the latest or the same version of Ignite-UX software as in Ignite-UX client system. The ignite-ux backup would fail if in the ignite-ux version in the ignite-ux server is lower than of the client system. 

NOTE: Ignite-UX sofware installation on the client is optional. 

2. For the network recovery to be successful. make sure the complete Ignite-UX bundle is installed on the Ignite-UX server.

For example to restore 11.31 client system from 11.11 Ignite-ux server, the 11.31 ignite-ux installation utilities needs to be installed on the ignite-ux server. 

Refer the sample output from an Ignite-UX server with has the complete ignite-ux software bundle installed. 

# swlist | grep -i ignite

IGNITE C.7.11.444 HP-UX Installation Utilities (Ignite-UX)

Ignite-UX-11-11 C.7.11.444 HP-UX Installation Utilities for Installing 11.11 Systems

Ignite-UX-11-23 C.7.11.444 HP-UX Installation Utilities for Installing 11.23 Systems

Ignite-UX-11-31 C.7.11.444 HP-UX Installation Utilities for Installing 11.31 Systems

Note: without the 11.31 installation utilities, the 11.31 system recovery would fail. 

Before initiating the ignite-ux network recovery verify the Ignite-UX server side configuration. 

For detailed information, please refer the HP Ignite-UX Guided Troubleshooting for step by step instructions to configure and troubleshoot Ignite-UX Server backup and recovery. 

Click here to access HP Ignite-UX Guided Troubleshooting.

To verify the Ignite-UX Server Side Configuration: From above web link, choose "Troubleshooting Guide" option -->choose Verifying Ignite-UX Server Side Configuration

Regards,
Pradeep

I am an HP Employee
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HP Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details

gr8_lkr
Advisor

Thank you Pradeep and all that responded I cannot tell you all how much I appeciate it.  I will take the Pradeep docs. as an final solution based on the fact that I had to "prove" unsupported .   -G