4181 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: info for using a DLT as your make_recovery tape

Scott_14
Regular Advisor

info for using a DLT as your make_recovery tape

Hello:

I have a variety of HP Classes on site here, and have a couple questions on using a DLT tape drive rather than a DDS drive. I do have a list of Classes that support DLT booting, however there is no listing for an
R or L class. Does anyone know if they may support booting from a DLT tape device?

Also, the main question, is there an advantage of using a DLT tape for your recovery tape, than a DDS? Is there an actual speed difference if needing to recover a system?

Thank you in advance for your input.

scott
3 REPLIES 3
Peggy Fong
Respected Contributor

Scott
Here is a link on the release notes for Ignite_UX and make_recovery and has info on DLT drives:
http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/docs/release_note_B.3.2.html

Here is an excerpt from that document:
DLT is attached to HP 9000 Enterprise servers via Fast-Wide Differential interface cards. DLT boot WILL NOT work when attached via single-ended SCSI. DLT boot IS NOT supported for systems that use NIO Fast-Wide Differential SCSI cards (Part number 28696A). The matrix below explains systems (by class)
along with the bus types required for DLT to be recognized as a bootable media device.
CLASS | BUS | SCSI | DLT | Notes
L-Class | PCI | FWD Yes

I didn't see anything on the R-Class.
Hope that helps a little....
Peggy
Scott_14
Regular Advisor

Thanks, but I have seen that page, and your right nonthing on R or L. Looking for some information on Advantages and disadvantages of using a DLT for it.
thank you again.
Sharon Bi
Frequent Advisor

Scott,

I tried to do an ignite bootable tape on a K-class and went into some problem. HP engineer told me that any DLT tape drive attached to HP-PB card is NOT BOOTABLE. You have to hook it up to a HSC board to make a bootable tape.