New Discussion

newbies to ignite ux

SOLVED
Go to solution
kholikt
Super Advisor

newbies to ignite ux

Hi,

I am quite new to ignite ux. I have read through some of the documentation here though I am still a little bit confused.

I have two servers svr1 and svr2, both have ignite ux installed. To do a make_net_recovery,

Is this sufficient just to use the following command?

make_net_recovery -a svr1:/image

Let said I have already export the /image in svr1.

anyhelp will be appreciated.

Thanks!
abc
1 REPLY 1
Mike Rightmire
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: newbies to ignite ux

I run Ignite v.11, on a number of HPUX 10.20 machines and the command I have inserted into the cron file on each server looks something like this ...

0 12 * * * /opt/ignite/bin/make_net_recovery -s Igniteserver.domain.com -a Igniteserver.domain.com/archive/Machinename -x inc_entire=vg00 -x exclude=/dontback

The above is (of course) all one line and the following explains it ...

0 12 * * * = the crontab format of saying run the following at 0 minutes, 12 hours (noon), every day, every month and every year. You would not include this part in a command line or a script. This is crontab specific.

/opt/ignite/bin/make_net_recovery = is, of course, is the command for make_net_recovery itself.

-s Igniteserver.domain.com = the '-s' option stands for source and references the location of the Ignite server which is managing the backup. Even though the command is running on the machine which is being backed up, an Ignite server must be contacted by the command. Igniteserver.domain.com is the FQDN of the Ignite server. You can use IP addresses as well.

-a Igniteserver.domain.com/archive/Machinename = the directory location to store the Ignite recovery file which is made. The file will be stored on the machine Igniteserver.domain.com, in the directory /archive/Machinename. Although the server and the storage machine location are the same here, they do not have to be. You could use a third file server as the location as long as both machines can NFS to the directory. The final directory /Machinename must belong to bin:bin (using the command 'chown bin:bin Machinename') and be writable by the Ignite server and the machine being backed up.

-x inc_entire=vg00 = an option telling the make_net_recovery command to back up ALL of volume group 'vg00'

-x exclude=/dontback = an option telling the make_net_recovey command NOT to back up the directory '/dontback".

Hope this helps and is not more confusing :-)
Mike
"If we treated each person we met as if they were carrying an unspeakable burden, we might almost treat each other as we should." Dale Carnegie