3783 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Display error in hpsum

BfN
Occasional Advisor

Display error in hpsum

Hi,

I will install PSP 8.40 on a SLES 10 server.
I tried to use hpsum, but the display shows
square boxes instead of characters. (See attachment)

This Environment is set:
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/nls

I already twiddled around with LC_CTYPE,
but no success.. :(

I also checked the requirements listed here:
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02076578/c02076578.pdf

These are all fulfilled on the system.

Any ideas, how to solve it?

Thanks in advance,

Gabriele
8 REPLIES 8
Donna Firkser
Regular Advisor

Gabriele,

Can you please tell us what fonts are installed on the system.

We consulted with Brandon Warnell from the hpsum team and he wrote: "I would think that this isn't a standard install of SLES10 and that whatever fonts are missing are causing HPSUM to have incorrectly rendered characters."

Thanks,
Donna
BfN
Occasional Advisor

Hi Donna,

I tried HPSUM on three different SLES 10
Servers. All of them are installed from
SLES 10 Distribution Media.

They run in runlevel 3 without X-Server.
Therefore I connect via ssh -X and run
the X-Server on my local computer.
I tried with X-Server Exceed, XMing and a native Xorg-Server on a linux box and see
the error in each of them:

System A (SLES 10 - 64bit) -> Display on local machine C : HPSUM shows up with correct display

System B (SLES 10 - 64bit) -> Display on local machine C : HPSUM shows up with broken display

System C (SLES 10 - 32bit) -> Display on local machine C : HPSUM shows up with broken display

I checked the fonts packages already. All of them have the same fonts packages with same version number installed.

Correct me, if I am wrong. I thought, the fonts are handled by the X-Server, therefore I am looking for an error on X-Client side, because I have a system showing up with correct display of HPSUM under the same(!) X-Server.

I also checked, that the xorg-libraries and other listed prerequisites are installed in 32-bit version on the 64bit platforms, because HPSUM seems to be a 32bit application. Will you deliver HPSUM in the future also as 64-bit application, so that we clients don't have to install all the 32-bit stuff on our 64-bit engines?

So far and kind regards,

Gabriele
BfN
Occasional Advisor

sorry, I made a mistake above:

System A (SLES 10 - 64bit) -> Display on local machine D : HPSUM shows up with correct display

System B (SLES 10 - 64bit) -> Display on local machine D : HPSUM shows up with broken display

System C (SLES 10 - 32bit) -> Display on local machine D : HPSUM shows up with broken display

In short, I use the same(!) X-Server for display in all the cases.
BfN
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I did strace the execution of hpsum on both X-Clients, one working (A) and one with broken display (C).

This is, what I got on the X-Client A:

strace -eopen hpsum 2>&1 | grep -i ".ttf"

open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype//arial.ttf", O_RDONLY) = 13
open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype//arialbd.ttf", O_RDONLY) = 13
open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype//cour.ttf", O_RDONLY) = 14
open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype//ariblk.ttf", O_RDONLY) = 14
open("/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype//trebuc.ttf", O_RDONLY) = 14

On X-Client C, where hpsum is not working correctly, strace did not catch ".ttf" patterns. Empty output.

On X-Client C the font-files listed above are also not existent.

But in RPM-Database on working X-Client A, I find no package (rpm -qa -qi -ql ..) , to whom these ".ttf" files belong.. Will they be generated by calling fonts-config or similar tools?

Shall I copy them manually?

--

Gabriele
Jacob Bresciani

I'm seeing the same error's, the difference for me is that my HP Servers run Centos 5.3 and my desktop is OSX 10.6 with X11 installed.

Centos was installed as a bare minimum install (so no X), I had to add in a bunch of i386 libraries and a few X packages to launch hpsum, now it comes up but with boxes in the place of words/charaters.

I'm using the file psp-8.50.rhel5.i686.en.gz from the HP site.
Jacob Bresciani

I just stumbled upon a potential fix, I updated the entire system (since I'm working out a major drive issue anyway it couldn't hurt anything) and updated the kernel to 2.6.18-194. One of these 2 steps fixed it. Maybe check the kernel revision on the machine that works and match that version on the 2 broken machines.
BfN
Occasional Advisor

I picked up this issue again now, while updating to PSP 8.60.

I compared the output of "fonts-config --debug" on the machine where hpsum displays correct letters with the output on the machine, where it shows up with square blocks instead of letters.

I found out, that the directory

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype/

was missing on the seconde machine.

As I didn't find a package on the working machine, which is responsible for the contents of the directory

rpm -qa --filesbypkg | grep truetype

and have the same x11 packages installed on both machines..

I copied the directory manually, did run "fonts-config" on the destination machine and now have hpsum displaying letters there :-)

Hope that helps others in the same nasty situation.

All the best!

Gabriele
MHi_1

Hi,

was struggling with this on RHEL5 as well.
Solution was to install the xorg-x11-fonts-Type1 rpm and letters were displayed correctly. Maybe HP should add this to the prerequsites, because not everybody has those font packages installed, especially when just using X11 forwarding sessions via SSH.

Michael

P.S. I do not know how the corresponding package for Suse is named though.