4855 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

P410i / P410 / P411 / P812

SOLVED
Go to solution

P410i / P410 / P411 / P812

Hi All, 

I'm trying to find out the differences between these RAID controllers (for Integrity systems): P410i / P410 / P411 / P812. 

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/smartarrayp410/index.html

- To my knowing, the P410i and P410 are the same, the only difference is that the P410i is integrated. Functionality is the same. 

- The P410 is limited to a single RAID level, and two logical drives. So you choose either to have RAID0, RAID1 (or 10) or RAID5. Then you can create a maximum of two logical drives using this controller. 

- The P411 is used to connect external drives, and offers no possibilities to connect internal drives. This controller does not have the 1 RAID level and 2 logical drives limit. 

- The P812 supports more disks, can control internal and external disks, and does not have limits to 1 RAID level or 2 logical drives. 

Is this information above correct? Is it possible that the 2 logical drive limit for the P410 is only there when no cache is added to the controller? Is it the same for the number of RAID levels you can choose? Are these limits related to Firmware levels? 

--

ie. If the p410 is connected to a cache module, can more than 1 raid level, and more than 2 logical drives be created? 

The documentation is very unclear about saying what's not possible. Also i have had different experiences with the same controller in different systems. Sometimes it's possbile, sometimes not to have more than 1 RAID level and more than 2 logical drives on the P410i / P410. 

Any thoughts? 

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: P410i / P410 / P411 / P812

From P410 quickspec
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.html#spectype=worldwide&type=html&docid=13201

Logical Drives Supported
Zero Memory, Up to 2 logical volumes
256MB cache and greater, Up to 64 logical volumes

This page can be helpful too:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/iss-controllers/index.html#!view=grid&page=1

What Integrity server do you have in mind?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Hi Torsten, thanks for your reply, i must have read over it. We posed the question to HP support a while ago too, but they didn't find the same answer as you do. HP responded by saying the best options would be to add a second controller to be sure. 

It's for an RX2800 server, p410i integrated. But I need to create a RAID1 setup for the OS disks and RAID5 for the data disks. I re-read the quickspecs, but they don't mention the limit of 1 RAID level. 

If the cache module is installed (which is required for RAID5), is it possible to then use RAID1 and RAID5 on the same controller? I guess I think there's a limit in combining RAID1 and RAID5, which is actually not there. When i tried to use both before, it must have been on a P410 without the cache module, which caused the RAID5 option to not be presented in the configuration interface. 

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I have done this with a rx2800i2 and a rx2800i4.

You always need to set the controller in RAID mode (not HBA mode, but this is the default). Then you can create your RAID1 and RAID5, if the cache module is installed. With the advanced license installed you can even create a RAID6.

I was not aware of the 2 LUN limit in zero memory config too until somebody pointed me to the very last lines of the quickspec ... ;-)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!