3625 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Swapping bootdisk on rx2600 by using mirrordisk/UX

Stefan Beelen
Occasional Contributor

Swapping bootdisk on rx2600 by using mirrordisk/UX

Hi,

I've installed here a rx2600 with mirrordisk/UX on it. I can boot from both disks. (c2t1d0=bootdisk, c2t0d0=mirrordisk).
Now I 've booted from the mirrordisk and I tried to bring a new disk up and running but it does not work. Has somebody a procedure for swapping a boot disk ( hot-plug or with a reboot).

Thanks in Advance,

Stefan
2 REPLIES 2
Olivier Decorse
Respected Contributor

Re: Swapping bootdisk on rx2600 by using mirrordisk/UX

Hello Stefan.
Do you mean that you need to change one of your mirrored disk ?
It is of course possible, and can be done while server runs.

You will find a lot of topic that explains this problem. For example : http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=3025

After, for IPF, there are some differences, like explain in the IPF Recovery Handbook :
There is no difference between PA and IPF systems when talking about replacing non-root
disks. Even for root disks the procedure is quite similar, so for details refer to the LVM chapter. The partitioned disk layout and the existance of EFI needs to be considered though.
Hence there are three major differences compared to the usual ├в hot-swap├в procedure.
1) Partition the new disk
You have to run idisk(1M) first before performing mkboot(1M), lvlnboot(1M) and
vgcfgrestore(1M) in order to partition the new disk. Note that vgcfgrestore(1M) does not
restore EFI or LIF. This is done by mkboot(1M).
idisk(1M) usage is explained in step 1) of the mirror procedure above.
2) Recreate EFI boot option (UX 11.22 only; not neccessary for UX 11.23)
idisk(1M) creates a new disk identifier (GUID) on the disk. If an EFI boot option entry
(held in NVRAM) exists for the replaced disk it is still linked to the old GUID. Hence
you have to remove the old boot option entry and add a new one.
Refer to step 9) of the mirror procedure above.
3) Be careful to specify the s2 device file (c#t#d#s2) when performing LVM commands.

Hope it helps.

Ol
They say "install windows 2k, xp or better", so i install unix !
Olivier Decorse
Respected Contributor

Re: Swapping bootdisk on rx2600 by using mirrordisk/UX

Hello Stefan.
Do you mean that you need to change one of your mirrored disk ?
It is of course possible, and can be done while server runs.

You will find a lot of topic that explains this problem. For example : http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=3025

After, for IPF, there are some differences, like explain in the IPF Recovery Handbook :
There is no difference between PA and IPF systems when talking about replacing non-root
disks. Even for root disks the procedure is quite similar, so for details refer to the LVM chapter. The partitioned disk layout and the existance of EFI needs to be considered though.
Hence there are three major differences compared to the usual ├в hot-swap├в procedure.
1) Partition the new disk
You have to run idisk(1M) first before performing mkboot(1M), lvlnboot(1M) and
vgcfgrestore(1M) in order to partition the new disk. Note that vgcfgrestore(1M) does not
restore EFI or LIF. This is done by mkboot(1M).
idisk(1M) usage is explained in step 1) of the mirror procedure above.
2) Recreate EFI boot option (UX 11.22 only; not neccessary for UX 11.23)
idisk(1M) creates a new disk identifier (GUID) on the disk. If an EFI boot option entry
(held in NVRAM) exists for the replaced disk it is still linked to the old GUID. Hence
you have to remove the old boot option entry and add a new one.
Refer to step 9) of the mirror procedure above.
3) Be careful to specify the s2 device file (c#t#d#s2) when performing LVM commands.

Hope it helps.

Ol
They say "install windows 2k, xp or better", so i install unix !