1752783 Members
6077 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Ultrium 6250 LT0-6 tape drive with RX8640

dictum9
Super Advisor

Ultrium 6250 LT0-6 tape drive with RX8640

Would a Ultrium 6250 tape drive work with RX8640 Integrity server? 

It's a LT0-6 

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/tape-drives-enclosures/product-detail.html?oid=5336456

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Ultrium 6250 LT0-6 tape drive with RX8640

The rx8640 is old.

Some models have only PCI slots, so you won't find a fast enough and working SAS controller for PCI. This may be different with PCIe, if your server has such slots. . An AH303A PCIe SC44Ge SAS Host Bus Adapter could work.

However, I assume a fibre channel connected LTO drive (e.g. in an autoloader) would work.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Answering your post in HP-UX System Adminstration:
http://community.hpe.com/t5/System-Administration/Recommend-a-tape-drive-that-supports-3TB-tapes/m-p/6893335#M489687

The LTO6 can store 2.5 TB of random data, a bit more if the data patterns are compressible. However, the LTO6 is an extremely fast tape drive. The absolute low limit of data from your disk must be more than 54 MB/sec or the drive will have to pause, back up and start again. For full performance, you'll disk transfers more than 575 MB/sec, much more than that for compressible data. These transfer rates are way beyond the capability for JBOD disks, and for modern disk arrays, you need some careful design work to meet these transfer rates.

Is the goal for storage on tape to eliminate changing tapes during the backup? If so, the LTO6 is a very expensive solution compared to a small autochanger using LTO3 or LTO4 tape drives. 

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
dictum9
Super Advisor

HP determined that my tape drive is bad and sent me a new one. The same model it appears.