1752753 Members
4558 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Outlook Express won't display body of messages

Steve Norton
Occasional Contributor

I have the exact same problem and I *believe* it has something to do with removing an BHO (browser helper object)... in other words, cleaning spyware from the PC.

I don't know what I deleted, but now I can't get OE to show any of my newgroup messages. The message is there as I can go to the message properties and see the text in the message source.

Any ideas anyone?

We discovered that in our case it was the user variables.

Temp & Tmp values had changed to a % sign. So we changed the value to c:\temp for Temp and tmp and all was well again.

Firgia Nieves

I did what was suggested:

Start, then Run: regsvr32 inetcomm.dll

It worked like a charm!! I re-started Outlook Express and the body of the email messages re-appeared. Thank you so much.
Christina Lowe

No, I don't have a suggestion. I was actually trying to start a new message but hit reply (first timer, sorry!)

I read everyone's messages/suggestions on the same problem and none of them are working!! I did the "run" suggestion w/ regsvr32 inetcomm.dll and I even deleted all of my folders under Outlook Express (so all my emails went bye bye!) but none of these are helping. Anyone else have anything else??
D. Campa

According to microsoft Article ID:312351

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312351/en-us

When you view messages in Outlook Express 5.x, the body of the message may be blank and the message may contain an attachment named ATT000XX.txt or ATT000XX.htm. If you use Outlook Express 6.0, the body of the message is blank and there is no attachment.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, clear the Temp and Temporary Internet folders:
1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2. On the General tab, click Delete Files, click OK, and then click OK again.
3. In Windows Explorer, click to expand the hard disk letter, click to expand Windows, and then click to expand Temp.
4. Select all of the files, and then on the File menu, click Delete.
5. Click Yes.
Howard Hsiao

Please check the value for your TEMP and TMP environment variables and make sure that they point to valid directories.
Did you accidentally delete your temporary directory (set in TEMP and TMP)?
Edel Murphy

I am having this problem with blank message body just from one person with whom I communicate - all other messages are fine. I've tried the Run instruction above to no avail.

Any other suggestions? Anyone having this "once-off" problem? I am running McAfee Virus protection - I thought that might be the problem?
out look express

I get most of the email but from one or two others the messages are blank. Ive tried to run "regsvr32 inetcomm.dll, but it has not affect. Anyone have any ideas?
neilsav

Ok, so my mother had the same problem and I couldn't figure out what exactly the problem was based on all of your help above.

After further research you need to deleted all of the information out of the C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp

Just fill in your username in the < >

Something similar was recommended above but that was with a temp folder not associated to the specific username. Outlook Express uses the temp folder in which XP is currently logged in to.

Neil
Alan Lyons

I tried everything that was posted but finally got onto our IT guy. Forget everything that has been suggested I spent 4 hours trying everything. Here's what to do:
Close down every program your not using
Open your internet browser
select tools
internet options
delete files (OK)
then select OK at the bottom
It will dissappear off the screen
Go to Start
My Computer
Select your hard drive (usually C drive)
Documents and Settings
Your User folder (It may be your name)
Local settings
Temp
Then delete everything in the temp file. I had 99903 files so it took ages, and there were 2 files it simply wouldn't let me delete.

However after I persevered and then went back into Outlook Express it was back to normal. Hope this helps. Alan