1752565 Members
5524 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

5406zl- How to assign an ip address to an interface

JWag46
Occasional Visitor

5406zl- How to assign an ip address to an interface

Cisco switches have the interface command "no switchport" - turns it into a layer 3 interface and stops the propagation of bpdus.

Brocade switches have the interface "command route-only" - turns it into a layer 3 interface and stops the propagation of bpdus.

Does HP have a similar command for the 5406zl?

4 REPLIES 4
Emil_G
HPE Pro

Re: 5406zl- How to assign an ip address to an interface

IP addresses can be assigned only to VLAN interfaces  not to physical interfaces on this switch.

The same result can be achieved by creating a new VLAN, making one port untagged member of this VLAN and configuring IP address in the VLAN context. As the port will be the only member of this VLAN, there will be a 1:1 mapping between the physical port and ip interface. IP routing has also to be enabled in order for the port to behave as a real router port.

The Comware OS supports  changing the link-mode from bridge to route and vice versa (port link-mode route/bridge) on some switches. However 5406zl is not a Comware switch. As many Comware features were already imported to ProVision, it is not impossible that this command becomes available on the 5406zl as well. You have the check regularly the enhancement section of new releases.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

JWag46
Occasional Visitor

I have it setup that way currently.  Due to the number of layer 3 point to point links I created in a redundant core layout, I wanted the remote sites to have vlan 172 and vlan 173 as the uplink vlans.

On the core switches, I then started at say vlan 10, 11, 12, 13 ect.

CoreA     Remote Site

10 <---> 172

11 <---> 172

12 <---> 172

and so on....

CoreB     Remote Site

10 <---> 173

11 <---> 173

12 <---> 173

and so on.....

Now I am getting syslog messages for a vlan mismatch.  It works, but I was hoping to get rid of those messages.

Emil_G
HPE Pro

You can fin here some suggestions how to handle the PVID mismatch messages.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Comware-Based/lldp-PVID-mismatch/td-p/5951527#.VF3KSKM1hjo

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

The remote site could have VLAN10 as its dedicated point-to-point uplink and a separate VLAN/subnet for local host connectivity.

Otherwise, you will need to filter out the VLAN mismatch lines in the log or they'll drive you crazy.