LAN Routing
1752614 Members
4387 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can HP ProCurve 3500-24 J9470A Switches Running IP RIP V2 Load Balance Routed Traffic?

LarryMateo
Occasional Visitor

Can HP ProCurve 3500-24 J9470A Switches Running IP RIP V2 Load Balance Routed Traffic?

We're working with AT&T to install a 930 Mbps link from a remote site to a central site. AT&T, however, has a restriction on their EVCs (Ethernet Virtual Circuits) that limit the virtual circuit's maximum speed (CIR) to 600 Mbps. To give us the full 930 Mbps that we've requested, AT&T is splitting traffic between the remote and central sites over two EVCs. Each EVC will have its own VLAN number assigned.

I'm trying to figure out how to get traffic from a single ProCurve 3500-24 J9470A layer 3 switch using IP RIP V2 to load balance its routed traffic over the two VLANs. From what I've been reading in the device's manuals, it doesn't appear to be possible with 3500s, but it's not explicitily stated so.

Can someone please confirm whether load balancing RIP V2 can or cannot be done on Procurve 3500-24 J9470A layer 3 switch? And, if it can be done, could you please point me to the manual that describes the theory and has the configuration instructions?

Thanks much.

1 REPLY 1
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: Can HP ProCurve 3500-24 J9470A Switches Running IP RIP V2 Load Balance Routed Traffic?

If you can get AT&T to present both links to you as untagged Layer2 links at both ends (AT&T obviously need to tag them on their end, but that doesn't mean you need to see any tags) then you can use LACP to get load-sharing, which might help.