LAN Routing
1752778 Members
6064 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

DHCP relay and ip-helper- what's the different?

SOLVED
Go to solution
meirhasin
Advisor

DHCP relay and ip-helper- what's the different?

Hello

What's the different betweem dhcp-relay and ip-helper?

if i enabled the option of dhcp-relay in my switch(HP 5406) for what i need to write ip-helper?

Thanks you ver much.

Regards,
Meir.H
CCNA
MCITP
5 REPLIES 5
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Re: DHCP relay and ip-helper- what's the different?

the dhcp-relay command in global config is to enable or disable the use of ip-helper to relay DHCP packets. if you disable dhcp-relay, the ip-helper command will not relay DHCP anymore, but still be able to be used as UDP forwarder for other protocols.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

meirhasin
Advisor

thanks!

why there is need to forward other udp packets? other services like dns, need ip helper to serve devices from other subnets?

and "ip bootp" It’s necessary when there is no bootp server (for proper work of regular dhcp server) ? when configure bootp, there is need to write bootp server or just vlan default gateway?

thank you

Regards,
Meir.H
CCNA
MCITP
meirhasin
Advisor

Hi

I have other question, very important question:

Some department in our company ran out of ip address(in there VLAN) , there is no option to move them to other VLAN or create new VLAN for them, the only option was to do multinet= combine to subnets in 1 vlan.

Its work fine but the problem occurred when the servers try to get ip from DHCP, we have ip-helper and BOOTP on this VLAN, and according to HP manuals, in multinet VLAN, just 1 subnet can reach the dhcp server.

It’s make us a lot of problem, I can create no VLAN for this department, there is some option the “work around” and enable bootp&dhcp for 2 subnets in multinet?

vlan 11

name "qa-vlan"

tagged B1,B4,B8,B11,B23,C4,C8,D1

untagged A5-A9,A11

ip helper-address 10.4.1.121

ip helper-address 10.4.1.122

ip address 10.7.4.1 255.255.252.0

ip address 10.7.80.1 255.255.248.0

ip bootp-gateway 10.7.80.1

when to BOOTP is going to 10.7.80.1, the servers in subnet 10.7.80.1 can get ip from the dhcp, and the servers from 10.7.4.1 cant, and also opposite.

Anyone can give me an answer?

Thank you very much

Regards,
Meir.H
CCNA
MCITP
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor
Solution

I haven't tried your scenario so I cannot give you an answer unfortunately. But if the HP manual says it cant be done.. :/. 

Why can't you add another VLAN? I'd definately recommend against having that many clients (/21 + /22 == ~3000 IPs) in one segment.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

meirhasin
Advisor

you’re absolutely right, but we have some specific department that ran out of ip and we can’t change or add another VLAN, we need to make their vlan bigger in some way :)

thank you very much for the help

Regards,
Meir.H
CCNA
MCITP