New Discussion

IRF Layer 3 routing configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
JasonJB
Occasional Contributor

IRF Layer 3 routing configuration

Hi All,

I'm new to HP switches, I just finished configuring two HP 5500 48 port switches into IRF stack and it's working as it should, I have the following questions which I don't know how to configure or setup, can anyone help me out, Thanks in advance 

1) I have to configure two VLAN, and from both switches I have two cable (1 cable for one VLAN) and in total I have four cables two from each switch. The four cables that goes out from my switch connects to 4 switches (two for each vlan), How do I configure the Port routing on my HP switch per VLAN so that this can be handled? and how does the GW ip configured on my HP switch changes when one of the HP switch fails, I already checked I can do a VLAN interface IP not sure how that works when it comes to IRF and also not sure how can I set a Layer 3 IP to a port and make it work with switch failover

2) Let’s say if i can get the above config working, then does it mean that I will get traffic from all 4 cables? if so how does this part work?

Thank you everyone in advance

Jason

7 REPLIES 7
Jacques_GRILLOT
Advisor

Re: IRF Layer 3 routing configuration

Bonjour Jason,

I make a drawing of your technology, let me know if it is correct.

So :

A) On IRF-stack ;
1) You create the 2 VLAN ;
2) For each VLAN, you create 2 VLAN interface ;
3) You create a trunk on each port that connects to the other switch ;

B) On each other switch :
1) You create VLAN with its interface ;
2) You create a trunk on the port that connects to the IRF-stack.

The routing is implicite between each VLAN when you create a VLAN interface : from my drawing, VLAN100 and VLAN200 can communicate between them.

Of course, don't forget to untag the ports that are in each VLAN.

If one of the HP switch fails, don't worry for the GW : IRF-stack is a logical volume of stack of hardware, the IP configuration is shared on all the stack, so the GW will be the same.

Hope that helps you.

Regards,

Jacques

JasonJB
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jacques,

Thank you for the reply, Yes the digram is correct but my question is more on if I want to connect via Layer 3 as a next hope, how can I do it?

Basically, On my server I will have two interfaces with two differnt GW which belongs to the local VLAN within the switch, from that VLAN I want to be able to route the external traffic out into the external two switches, In cisco you can create IP for the port and route the traffic directly to the port the traffic will go to the external switch but that means that each port will have its uniqe IP.

With IRF does it mean I need to create a VLAN with the GW IP and do inter vlan routing? or can I do something like Routing-Aggregation and assign an IP for the Routing aggreagtion?

Hope I'm making my self clear not making it worse :)

Jacques_GRILLOT
Advisor

What kind of type is your server ? Vmware ESXi ? ...

JasonJB
Occasional Contributor

RHEV Hypervisor

Jacques_GRILLOT
Advisor

Ok, I don't know RHEV but VMWARE ;) So, I give you how I configure.

Let us suppose that we use Ten-GigabitEthernet1/1/1 (on first device in the stack) and Ten-GigabitEthernet2/1/1 (on second device in the stack). For each port :

Ten-GigabitEthernet1/1/1
port link-mode bridge
port link-type trunk
port trunk permit vlan all

Ten-GigabitEthernet2/1/1
port link-mode bridge
port link-type trunk
port trunk permit vlan all

On the hypervisor, I trunk the ports of the vSwitchs. and and for each vSwitch, I put the PVID.
Each vSwitch is configured with the 2 interfaces.

That's all :)

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

I think you need to create a diagram of what you want to do.

If you want a physical Layer-3 interface on your switch, you use the port link-mode route command, but this is only available on EI switches, and I don't understand how this fits into your VLAN plan, because you seem to be saying you want both ports connected to the same VLAN (???).

I'm not sure why you are talking about IRF - IRF just creates a virtual single chassis out of your two switches. It has nothing to do with routing. Your IRF-stack has a single config and you treat it as a single switch, like a stack of Cisco 3750s.

JasonJB
Occasional Contributor
Solution

This is for anyone else who has the same problem,

After creating the IRF, you will see one virtual switch, now the problem is when you have one virtual switch how do you connect to any of the external switches (Layer 3 using a port as a route or VLAN). 

I created a Routing Aggregator between the two switches for two ports and then created load share as static did not use LACP because to do this you need the external switch also to support this.

Now everything works as it should only downside is because I have link redundancy because Im not using LACP only one link is transferring traffic at any given time.