1752703 Members
5513 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Redundant Interfaces to Same Switch

TaylorDC
Occasional Contributor

Redundant Interfaces to Same Switch

MSR 3012 router.  I want two interfaces to have the same IP going to different physical switches that share the same subnet.  The purpose is for switch failover tolerance.  There is still a single point of failure in the router, but this is by design.

Attached is a network diagram of what I'd like to be able to do.  Is there a better way that I'm not considering?  Something with the switches, maybe using LACP or something else?

2 REPLIES 2
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: Redundant Interfaces to Same Switch

Hi,
I would IRF the switches together as this is best for down-stream LACP. I would then do OSPF between the router interfaces and 2 routed (# port link-mode bridge) interfaces on the switches. 2 little /30 "transit" networks should do it.
You can have ECMP for optimized load-balancing or BFD for super-fast failover in this kind of topology.
You can advertise a default route into here and if you ever get a secondary, say DSL, router that also be configured to advertise a more costly route into the switch for use if the primary router ever goes offline.
I would also look to monitor the primary router's uplink - not only for link connectivity but also the routing protocol as quite often the upstream ethernet stays up even when the WAN link goes down.
Best of luck
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
jmpprd
Regular Visitor

Re: Redundant Interfaces to Same Switch

Good to know