LAN Routing
1753765 Members
5990 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: inter vlan routing on a5800 series switches - HELP!

SOLVED
Go to solution
blockjs
Occasional Contributor

inter vlan routing on a5800 series switches

All,

I have 2 a5800 switches (model JC100A) and would like to implement intra vlan routing on them to simulate a routed network in the development environment that I support.  I have a dat cable so I can implement IRF and and I I can add the vlans and trunking to support the virtual connect modules in the blade chassis that are in this environment, but I have not been able to figure out how to get the routing going. I was able to get a couple of similar switches from HP (JG255A) so I can get familiar with the switches and am trying to come up with a config that I can move into my environment. I have set up intra vlan routing on cisco switches, but this is my first venture into HP switches and any help would be appreciated

Jeff

11 REPLIES 11
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: inter vlan routing on a5800 series switches

Hi Jeff,

Setting up routing on Comware devices is pretty straightforward.  See the manuals at HP 5800 Switch Series - Manuals.

The ones you're probably most interested in are:

You will also find the HP Networking and Cisco CLI Reference Guide handy.  It is designed to help people switching between IOS, Comware, and ProCurve.

Regards,
Paul
Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

Re: inter vlan routing on a5800 series switches

Just add some vlan interfaces with IPs (SVI) and the 5800 will route between them, there is nothing else to turn on.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

JamesHill
Occasional Advisor

I am also unable to get inter vlan routing working on A5800.

I have created two vlans and the corresponding vlan interfaces.

Vlan 100 - Workstation A is attached to this via gi1/0/1

Vlan 110 - Workstation B is attached to this via gi1/0/2

Workstation A is able to ping the gateway (switch) for vlan 100 and the gateway for vlan 110.  The switch is able to ping Workstation A.

Workstation B is able to ping the gateway (switch) for vlan 100 and the gateway for vlan110.  The switch is able to ping Workstation B.

However, Workstation A CANNOT ping Workstation B or vice versa!  To add to the confusion, Workstation B is able to obtain a dhcp address from the dhcp server service runnin on Workstation A.

Why can't I ping from vlan 100 to vlan 110 and vice versa on the workstations?

I've tried with and without the protocol-vlan 0 ipv4 on the vlans.

Here is the config:-

vlan 100
 description Server VLAN
 protocol-vlan 0 ipv4
 ip-subnet-vlan 0 ip 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0
#
vlan 110
 description Office Data VLAN
 protocol-vlan 0 ipv4
 ip-subnet-vlan 0 ip 10.0.10.0 255.255.255.0
#
interface Vlan-interface100
 ip address 10.0.0.254 255.255.255.0
#
interface Vlan-interface110
 ip address 10.0.10.254 255.255.255.0
 dhcp select relay
 dhcp relay server-select 0
#
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
 port link-mode bridge
 port access vlan 100
 voice vlan qos trust
#
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
 port link-mode bridge
 port access vlan 110
 voice vlan qos trust 

I would greatly appreciate some assistance with this issue.

James.

Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

Remove:
protocol-vlan 0 ipv4
ip-subnet-vlan 0 ip <IP>

from both the VLANs. Other than that, it should work. Also disable firewalls on the computers during troubleshooting so they dont interfere.

---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

JamesHill
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the suggestion.  Unfortunately I had already tried it without those commands and it does not work. 

I'm at a complete loss as to why.  I've found numerous other posts on this forum describing the exact same issue with h3c switches but the majority have had no response to the initial post.  One recent thread was fixed by rebooting the router but that has not worked for me.

I've done similar configs on Cisco and HP gear without issue.

What are my options?  Send it back to HP?

JamesHill
Occasional Advisor

I should also add that the firewalls have been disabled on the computers. Although I don't see that as an issue as the switch is able to ping the computers without a problem.

I've tried different software versions and started with a blank config and doing it from scratch.

paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Hi James,

Don't forget that the workstations must also have a route to each other, either by their default gateways or another route.  This is often overlooked in troubleshooting.

Regards,
Paul
Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

Can you post a sanitized display current-config and display ip routing-table
---
CCIE Service Provider
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

JamesHill
Occasional Advisor

Got it working!

After clearing the config and doing it from scratch it is now working.  I've spent so many hours on this that I question if I had turned the desktop firewalls off properly.  I'd set them to off in Windows Advanced Firewall settings but not on all the profiles (domain, public etc).

This would explain why I was able to ping the switch from the desktops and vice versa as it was on the same network and I had the firewall off for that profile.  But going across subnets had the packet coming from a different network and not matching the firewall profile.

Such a stupid mistake that cost me hours today.  Oh well, thank you all for your help!