108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Can not recreate lvmtab using vgscan

SillyPutty

Can not recreate lvmtab using vgscan

I have a strange problem.

My server is RX6600

HPUX version 11.23

Something happened to this server before I came here and the primary boot disk is broken.

I am not sure what exactly has been done to vg00 but it is in a very strange shape right now.

vgdisplay -v vg00 lists 3 PVs but during the listing output I see a lot of

pvdisplay: Warning: couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c13t0d0s2":
The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to
this volume group

and this c13t0d0 is the primary boot volume which is no longer listed as a part og vg00

I tried

vgreduce -f vg00

it did not make any difference.

I tried moving lvmtab out of the way and recreating it by vgscan but I am getting a lot of error messages. In the past it had FO connections to the SAN, which since then, removed. Also getting the same "can not query PV" messages. At the end, lvmtab gets created with 12 bytes size and as usual, it has no usable information about vg00 in it. So I have to move the old lvmtab into place.

c13t0d0 volume still is listed in ioscan output and it is CLAIMED but at one time, it started reporting errors thru EMS and that was when it was taken out of vg00, not by me, but whoever did it, did a shoddy job. Now I have to fix this without bringing the server down. I have 2 more disk drives, which are not even partitioned in the sX slices yet, if it helps.

Any suggestions that I should try, oher than what I did and explained above ? If not, how would I get rid of this ghots of c13.. drive from my system ?