1753797 Members
6946 Online
108800 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: From previous LVM posting

MarkW_1
Regular Advisor

From previous LVM posting

Two machines see all raid sets. Used SAM to create groups and volumes. N machine, then L machine. After cleaning up on N machine I still get the vgcreate error "A volume group is already using this major and minor number. Please check the minor number of the group device file." In SAM the group is not created, but the actual directory and volume file are. On the L machine I do not have this problem. Can create goups successfully in SAM. Is there a reference somewhere that is not allowing me to create these groups. The N is the prime machine and I did not know if this would be a problem to create the groups on the L and export to the N. Thnx
4 REPLIES 4
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Are you saying both machine are connected to the same disk(S)array(s)? in Read/write?
If so, sure you will have some problems...
When I have to do the same (physically connected) only one machine work at a time on the shared volumes the takeover is done with vgexport/vgimport and on some machines (aix) you will have to go through a scsi Reset...

MarkW_1
Regular Advisor

Both machines are connected to the raid sets. I am now aware that I cannot use SAM on both machines to configure groups, that I must use vgimport/export to do so. My problem is that the error is occurring on the HP (N class machine). I would like to use this machine to set up the groups. The HP (L class machine) does not give any errors. It was the last machine I used to set up the groups. Since the N machine is my primary machine, I would like to set up the groups on it. This problem started after I cleaned up the group dir, files, and recreated the lvmtab.
John Palmer
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,

SAM will be detecting the major/minor number from the 'group' file in /dev/vg??. You should remove this defunct directory.

What exactly are you trying to achieve??

If you are attempting to share volume groups then you have to be very careful to avoid data corruption caused by simultaneous access by the two servers. MC/Serviceguard has an additional facility to prevent more than one server from activating a volume group at the same time.

In any case the volume group should only be created once (on either server) then vgexported/vgimported onto the other.

Regards,
John
Debra Moyers

If you are still getting the error major and minor number is in use please use the ll /dev/*/group to display your volume group major and minor numbers. If you are no longer using the file system that was attached to the major number you are currently trying to use, you can simply remove it.

If you have the problem that the volume group is already in use then vgexport the volume group to remove it.
Try using the following mount statement