108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPUV 11iv2 - replaced failed boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Haddad
Super Advisor

HPUV 11iv2 - replaced failed boot

I have an 11iv2 host where I have replaced the primary boot disk that had failed.

RIght now vg00 has the one disk (alternate) and rebooted fine with it.

One thing I did not do before placing the failed disk was remove it (vgreduce) from VG00.

Although the new disk does not appear in VG00 after reboot, its still recorded in LVMTAB..

I discovered this when I ran...pvcreate -B  on the new disk and  it reported that the disk already exists in LVMTAB.

How can I cleanup lvmtab? or what steps should i take?

8 REPLIES 8
Chirag Parikh
Frequent Advisor

move or rename current lvmtab file and recreate it with vgscan command. then add the new disk in vg00.

Regards,

Chirag Parikh.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Recreating the lvmtab file may work, but is overkill and might cause other issues if your situation is more complex than you've told us so far.

If you want to replace the failed primary disk as quickly as possible, do not remove the old configuration from the LVMTAB: the old configuration can be re-used by using vgcfgrestore instead of pvcreate. See below.

The recommended procedures for replacement of failed disks are in HP document titled "When Good Disks go Bad".

The newest version is written for HP-UX 11iv3, so you should understand the differences between 11iv2 and 11iv3 to use it on 11iv2 (I'll explain the differences, see below):

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01911837/c01911837.pdf

See the flowchart on page 30. (You've already booted from the alternate/mirror disk, so you've completed the "Boot from Mirror" step.)

The complete instructions for replacing a mirrored boot disk start from page 36.

(You've already replaced the disk, so you're past step 3.)

Steps 4 and 5 are only for 11iv3.

If you have an Itanium system (= uname -m and/or model commands report IA64), then you'll need to use the idisk command to partition the disk (step 6). It refers you to steps 1 and 2 on page 50: do those and then return to page 38. If you have a PA-RISC system, you can skip step 6.

Step 7 is for 11iv3 only.

Step 8 for 11iv2 PA-RISC:

vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg00 /dev/rdsk/<new_disk>

Step 8 for 11iv2 Itanium:

vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg00 /dev/rdsk/<new_disk>s2

Step 9: since you rebooted the system, use vgchange -a y /dev/vg00 to restore LVM access to the disk. The system should automatically start mirroring the VG data from the alternate disk back to the replaced primary disk. (If it does not happen automatically, you can now use vgsync or lvsync commands to force the synchronization, either for the entire VG or for one LV at a time, respectively.)

Step 10: since the boot information is not actually part of any LV, you must initialize it on the replaced disk.

For a PA-RISC system, perform steps 4 and 5 on page 48; for an Itanium system, see steps 5 and 6 on pages 51-52.

If you specifically want to remove the old configuration, the proper procedure would be to use lvreduce -k -m0 /dev/vg00/<LV> to remove the configuration for each missing LV mirror, then vgreduce -f vg00 to remove the failed disk from the vg00. That would remove all references to it from the LVMTAB. To re-establish the mirror, you would have to use the full mirroring procedure, as detailed in Appendix D of the "When Good Disks go Bad" document.

MK
Tom Haddad
Super Advisor

In  this case I was able to  run 'vgreduce -f' /dev/vg00' to remove reference to this failed (c/t/d) disk.

Then I rebuilt lvmtab and it now shows only the alt disk..thats good!

I  ran pvcreate -B on the new disk just fine. I then went to extend VG00 with the new disk and it reports

"couldnt install the physical volume /dev/dsk/xxxx.  the path does not specifiy a valid physical volume"

Any idea?

Before doing an vgextend, I ran lvlnboot -R and it ran fine...just shows the one boot disk now!

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Please show the output of ioscan -fnCdisk (at least the lines referring to the replaced disk)

and the exact commands you used.

You might also try running dd if=/dev/rdsk/xxxx of=/dev/null bs=1048576 for the replaced disk and seeing if this causes any disk I/O error messages in the dmesg listing. Although unlikely, it's possible that the replacement disk might be faulty too.

MK
Tom Haddad
Super Advisor

c1t2d0 is the replaced disk... I do notice that i has a different part desc..

Ok..when I try to run dd it hangs  for a minute, then the host generates a media failure at 0/01/1.2.0

(i have Sys Insight Mgr)

wccbes4:/root #ioscan -fnC disk Class     I  H/W Path     Driver S/W State   H/W Type     Description =====================================================================

disk      0  0/0/1/1.0.0  sdisk CLAIMED     DEVICE       HP 36.4GST336753LC                          /dev/dsk/c1t0d0   /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0

disk      1  0/0/1/1.2.0  sdisk CLAIMED     DEVICE       HP 36.4GST336754LC                          /dev/dsk/c1t2d0   /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0

disk      2  0/0/2/0.0.0  sdisk CLAIMED     DEVICE       HP 36.4GST336753LC                          /dev/dsk/c2t0d0   /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0

disk      3  0/0/2/0.2.0  sdisk CLAIMED     DEVICE       HP 36.4GST336753LC                          /dev/dsk/c2t2d0   /dev/rdsk/c2t2d0

disk      4  0/0/2/1.2.0  sdisk CLAIMED     DEVICE       HP      DVD-ROM 305                          /dev/dsk/c3t2d0   /dev/rdsk/c3t2d0

Tom Haddad
Super Advisor

I get the same alert when I tried the vgetend.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

> host generates a media failure at 0/01/1.2.0

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure this means the disk is faulty.

Run diskinfo -v /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0 and check what it says about the size of the disk. Some disks will report their size as "0 bytes" if the disk has failed its internal diagnostics.

According to the type/description, these are 36.4 GB disks. It's been a long time since disks that small were manufactured... so any replacement disks you can get today have been lying in storage for a considerable time.

By the way: from the device paths and the size of the disks, I guess this might be a L-class/rp54xx system?

MK
Tom Haddad
Super Advisor

c1t2d0....

vendor: HP 36.4G         

product id: ST336754LC 

type: direct access

size: 35566480 Kbytes  

bytes per sector: 512          

rev level: HPC3    

blocks per disk: 71132960        

ISO version: 0       

ECMA version: 0       

ANSI version: 3    

removable media: no    

response format: 2

At this time the led on drive is steady flashing green light (bout every 2 secs)

Other 3 drives show ST336753LC at rev level HPC8 with same size..  Yep its an RP5430

Looks like a call to my CE!