Operating System - HP-UX
1752805 Members
5900 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to find out device file of ldev using hp unix OS commands. ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
arunthoray
Occasional Advisor

How to find out device file of ldev using hp unix OS commands. ?

suppose LUNS from differnt storage presented in a server,how can i find out the corrosponding device file of the ldev using particulary  hp unix commands.

3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Which version of HP-UX are you using? And which storage system?

The LDEV identifiers are an internal attribute of the storage system: you may need a proprietary tool from the SAN manufacturer to interpret the hardware-level attributes of the LUN into a human-readable LDEV identifier.

For example, the LUNs of HP StorageWorks EVA or XP or storage systems can be identified using the 'evainfo' or 'xpinfo' respectively. I understand these tools come with the storage management software: ask your SAN administrator. The HP-UX versions of these tools are simple binaries that can be easily copied from one server to another.

EMC provides a free inquiry tool (named "inq") which can query EMC and some other manufacturers' products, although interpreting the results may be tricky:

ftp://ftp.emc.com/pub/elab/inquiry/

If the storage system encodes LUN identification in the SCSI product ID field of each LUN, the "diskinfo -v" command might be helpful. If the LUN identification is encoded in the serial number of the LUN, the STM diagnostics (cstm/mstm/xstm) might be helpful.

HP-UX 11.31 can natively understand disk WWIDs and display them using the new options of the "ioscan" command: older HP-UX versions cannot do this. The storage system administration software should have some way of translating between the WWIDs and proprietary LDEV identification.

MK
arunthoray
Occasional Advisor

Hi Matti,

I know the command xpinfo and evainfo can be used to find out device file of the lun.

Here my question is, is there any command in particular in OS level to find out the device file associated with lun lumber ?

Suppose i have 100 luns visibility in my server and all from different storage vendor like emc,hp, netapp and all.can i have any particular  command to find out the entire lun corrosponding to the device

OS version is 11.31 

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Such a command would have to be programmed to understand and display all the LUN numbering schemes of all storage vendors & models and all the proprietary ways of passing the identifying information from the storage to the server. Keeping it up to date with new storage system models would probably be a support nightmare.

Therefore, each storage system manufacturer will have to provide their own tools that know how to identify the LUNs of their own storage systems.

As far as I know only standardized identification mechanism for LUNs is the WWID. Technically, the list of WWIDs of the LUNs should be as good as the HP LDEV numbers (or EMC SymmID numbers, or...) for identifying the devices at the storage side, but since the WWIDs are so long, they can be inconvenient to use by humans.

MK