MIRROR-UX & PV LINKS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

MIRROR-UX & PV LINKS

Hi,
Can you help me with the following question:

Actually I have 1 HP9000 rp7420 connected to 2 Storages by means of DAS.

I have 2 connections for the first and use PV Links and no multipath software, for the seccond I have only 1 connection.

I have MIRRUX-UX between a 1 LUN of the first storage and 1 LUN of the seccond storage.

I need remove the mirror for the first Storage and add a LUN of the new Storage in Mirror.

Do you think that I have any kind of problem because I have PV Links???...

Thanks...
15 REPLIES 15
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: MIRROR-UX & PV LINKS

hi,

no.

mikap
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi Michal,

Thank you for your reply... I mention to you that the server has installed Sysbase and use RAW DEVICE???...

Do you thing that I have ant kind of problems???...
TTr
Honored Contributor

> ...Sybase and use RAW DEVICE???...

Are the sybase raw devices on logical volumes? For example in sybase do you use raw devices that look like /dev/vgXX/lvolYY? If you have these raw devices then it is still OK to move the mirrors around, no problem.
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi TTr,

Thanks for your help, I use RAW DEVICE on filesystems in this case I can remove the STORAGE with PV Links of the mirror without problems???...

Thanks,
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I use RAW DEVICE on filesystems

What exactly do you mean here? Do you have raw volumes, files or both? Inside sybase where you specify the data and log devices what do you have? logical volumes paths or file name paths?
You need to verify this inside the sybase databases.
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi TTr,

I explain you: I have a rp7420 connect by DAS to 2 Storage, I use MIRROR UX betwen a 1 LUN of the first and 1 LUN of the Second Storage. I need remove of the MIRROR UX the first STORAGE that use PVLINK add a new STORAGE and then use MIRROR UX betwen a 1 LUN of the second storage and 1 LUN of the new storage.

The rp7420 have SYBASE and use RAW DEVICE and FILE SYSTEMS for the RAW DEVICE use the following format: /vg01/rlvol01.

I need know when I remove the first storage of the MIRROR UX or when I add the LUN of the new Storage I kave any knid of problem with SYBASE???...

Thanks,
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

As I said before you need to verify what is sybase using for its raw devices. In the sybase configuration file for the sybase databases you have "sybase devices". Check to see that these sybase devices are logical volumes. Most likely they are and sybase does not have a problem

With LVM mirroring you have logical volumes that are laid over two physical volumes. When you remove one disk from the mirror, the logical volume is still available. So if sybase is using logical volumes as raw devices there is no problem.
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi TTr,

I attach a file SYBASE.cfg...

Grettings,
Christhian Chamba
Frequent Advisor

Hi TTr,

I attach a configuration for a database nts_areas...

Grettings,