108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: More info please...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Josee Bourget-Thuma
Frequent Advisor

More info please...

I had not decided which disk to swap but it would seem logical to change vg00 if this will give me max space. Current Max PE per PV is set at 2000 which I understand would waste space.

So, now I'm looking for information on how to recover from make recovery tape. I've not done this before. Any documents you recommend?

I have and Oracle installation on this platform that I don't want to lose. I'd like to understand the process of make recovery from tape better.

Thanks again!

Josee...
Failure is not an option.
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff Gyurko
Frequent Advisor

The Ignite software is quite robust is making bootable, installable tapes of your systems. We use it here for Disaster Recovery. The first step would be to install it. It's on the application CD's or at www.software.hp.com.
Is your vg00 mirrored? better if it is because you will then have a back out plan if your not satisfied or something goes wrong. If you have a free disk, you will be in the best shape. The command we use it "/opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a tapedevice -I -A vg00" This puts a bootable,installable copy of your VG00 on tape. You then use this tape to do the install, select the free disk as the root disk, adjust your filesystems to have enough room and do the install. Any other VG's besides vg00, can then be imported to the new OS (vgexport these first so you have the map files. You can even export these and put the map files in / then do your ignite tape and the map files will be restored on the install) You can also vgexport vg00 to create the mapfile. You can then import the OLD vg00 and you will have a copy of any customized files that you can then copy to the new filesystems. The whole process is easy, but involved to write up here. If you want a more detailed mail, I'll send to you directly.

JG
Insu Kim
Honored Contributor

Try to use "search" function with "Ignite-UX" or "Ignite".
You will see a lot of postings that are helpful when you do your job.

Best regards,
Never say "no" first.
Eileen Millen
Trusted Contributor

If your tape drive is SCSI 0, you don't have to specify it on the make_recovery command line. If it is another SCSI id, you should use the norewind option, or you could have problems with the recovery.
-a /dev/rmt/1mn
this is SCSI id 1 with norewind
If you are changing to a larger disk, you can do the make_reovery in a preview mode and create configuration files that you can edit.
I went from a 4Gb root disk to 18Gb with telephone support from HP. The support group was very good. I had other problems. One was not having enought space for a logfile to run the make_recovery. You should try to get the latest version of Ignite which is 3.3.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Josee:

Using Ignite to resize your vg00 (in your case onto a new, larger disk) is straightforward.

First, download a current version of Ignite from the Ignite web site. Documentation can be obtained from there too:

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/

Use 'swinstall' to install Ignite. No reboot is required.

Use 'make_tape_recovery' to capture your currrent vg00 as:

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

Note the use of the no-rewind device. The '-I' option specifies an interactive session when you later boot from the tape you created. The process will create LVM map files for your entire LVM disk configuration. These map files will be used by the Ignite recovery to automatically 'vgimport' your non-vg00 volume groups when you recover your system.

To recover, boot from the Ignite tape you created. It will take about 45-minutes to load the tape image. All displayed messages will be written to /var/opt/ignite/local/install.log. You can easily review this later should you feel you missed a message as the process proceeded.

Choose the Advanced Installation mode. This will give you the ability to select and control filesystem properties (e.g. 'largefiles' and the sizes of logical volumes) and/or choose whether or not you want to manually run /sbin/set_parms to setup the hostname and networking characteristics after the initial Ignite or during the Ignite session.

I prefer to change the SCSI address of my existing vg00, give the priority address to my new disk, and Ignite to it. This preserves my old disk as a backup but leaves the system with its new boot disk at an optimal address.

Regards!

...JRF...