1752796 Members
5723 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Mount vxfs file system from 11.11 on 11.31

paulg45
Frequent Visitor

Mount vxfs file system from 11.11 on 11.31

I have two disks, that were originally mounted on HPUX 11.11 some time ago. One disk is 200 gigs the other is 20 gigs I know little about the original lvm structure for these disks nor do I have copies of the original map files.

Is is possible, with the lack of information that I have, to still be able to mount these disk on HPUX 11.31.

Keep in mind that we we are using vxfs version 6 and 7 on HPUX 11.31 and these disks most likely have a earlier version of vxfs

5 REPLIES 5

There are 2 issues here... the LVM configuration, and the VxFS Disk Layout Version (DLV)

For the LVM configuration, there are only 2 disks so the configuration is going to be pretty simple: either the 2 disks are in the same volume group, or in seperate volume groups. You don't need a map file to import the disks, so here's what I would do...

1. vgimport one of the disks and attempt to activate the new VG - if that works without error the disks are in different volume groups... if it doesn't work, maybe they are in the same volume group, so attempt to import the 2nd disk... e.g.

vgimport -v /dev/mynewvg /dev/disk/diskX

vgchange -a y /dev/mynewvg

(If that works, continue to step 2, otherwise import the other disk and tray the vgchange again)

2. At this point you should have seen some default logical volume names created by the vgimport, so you can now go ahead and try and mount them. If they don't mount, then the DLV version is probably too old for the VxFS version in 11.31 which can only mount back to DLV 4 (i.e. it's v2 or v3), so use the vxfsconvert command to upgrade the DLV to v7... e.g. vxfsconvert /dev/mynewvg/rlvol1

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
paulg45
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the quick response, will give that a go.

paulg45
Frequent Visitor

I was able to import the disks successfully and activate the volume group. However, when I try to mount the file system on get the following error message.

mount /mnt/au
UX:vxfs mount: ERROR: V-3-20005: read of super-block on /dev/vg01/lvol1 failed: I/O error
UX:vxfs mount: ERROR: V-3-24996: Unable to get disk layout version

I then ran vxfsconvert and got the following message.

vxfsconvert -e /dev/vg01/rlvol1
UX:vxfs vxfsconvert: ERROR: V-3-21718: Failed to read 8192, -1: I/O error
UX:vxfs vxfsconvert: ERROR: V-3-21716: Failed read of block 8: I/O error

Should I run fsck ?

Dave Olker
HPE Pro

Do you know which version of VxFS and disk layout version these volumes were using on the 11.11 system?  Looking at this paper: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01919408/c01919408.pdf it appears the oldest disk layout version supported by 11i v3 is version 4.  According to this paper: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02919889/c02919889.pdf 11i v1 systems support disk layout 4.  So if the filesystems were using a disk layout earlier than 4 when they were mounted on the 11.11 system you may need to update them to version 4 in order for the 11i v3 system to recognize the disk layout.

Dave

I work for HPE

[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
paulg45
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your help, I believe I know what the problem was.