108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading JFS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

Upgrading JFS

I'm certain this has been covered before, but with the search function down I cannot find it. I have a backup server running 11.00 and Online JFS version 3.1. I use this server to locally mount databse copies (EMC BCV's) for backup. Recently I have installed a couple of 11.i boxes that have Online JFS version 4. I am unable to mount the version 4 filesystems to the backup server, as it cannot find a "valid" superblock.

I could rebuild the 1.i filesystems using a version 3 layout, but that would reauire reloading hundreds of GB of data (and taking the assoociated downtime). Not my preferred course of action.

Alternatively, according to the man pages I should be able to upgrade to Online JFS version 3.3 on teh backup server and mount the version 4 filesystems. My questions are:

1) Has anybody had success (or failure) mounting version 4 fiklesystems against Online JFS version 3.3?
2) Has anybody had "less than optimal" experiences with the Online JFS 3.1 to 3.3 upgrade?
6 REPLIES 6
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

1) watch which filesystems are created by default - on 11 I _believe_ you get 3 by default, and you have to ask for 4. On 11i I _believe_ you get 4 by default. You have to convert layout 3 to layout 4.

You can use 3.3 to mount either 3 or 4.

>2) Has anybody had "less than optimal" experiences with the Online JFS 3.1 to 3.3 upgrade?

If you have a well patched box, this upgrade is relatively PAINFUL. There's a couple of field bulletins out for dealing with the different issues:

KBRC00007076,KBRC00001453

I'd do a pre-install to see where swinstall barks. I'd also open a case with the ITRC for safety's sake.
Alan Riggs
Honored Contributor

Chris, I can't seem to track down those field bulletins. Any chance you could post a direct link?
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

Bulletin attached.
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor

Another bulletin attached.
Christopher Caldwell
Honored Contributor
Solution