108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VG in kernel memory but not lvmtab files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sean M.
Advisor

VG in kernel memory but not lvmtab files

I have an issue which is sort of hard to explain. I will try to list as many details as possible.

I have a volume group on a server with a single lvol. The lvol is currently mounted to the server:

/dev/vgDBNAMEhome/lvol1 24.9g 14.8g 10.0g 60% /u01

vgdisplay reports:

[finux203:/etc/lvmconf] vgdisplay /dev/vgDBNAMEhome
vgdisplay: Volume group "/dev/vgDBNAMEhome" does not exist in the "/etc/lvmtab_p" file.
vgdisplay: Cannot display volume group "/dev/vgDBNAMEhome".

We are using Netapp storage and the SAN utilities also can't tell me anything about the storage. vgscan doesn't detect it if I mv the lvmtab file(s) and rescan.

Now it appears that the kernel knows what this is, as I can mount/unmount it just fine. Is there a way to pull the volumegroup information from the kernel/memory?

As a side note, whoever imported this space did not run the vgbackup command as I don't see a .conf file. There are no backups of the lvmtab(s) that contain this vg.

Thanks for any help.

- Sean
4 REPLIES 4
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

Dear Friend

Please take the backup of /etc/lvmtab file

and then do vgscan command
then check againg

strings /etc/lvmtab file

Please revert back

thanks and regards

Sajjad Sahir
Sean M.
Advisor

when doing a vgscan it reports the disks associated with the volume group are not found and does not add an entry in the lvmtab or lvmtab_p files.
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor
Solution

Please check

ll /dev/vgdbname/group

volume group special device file is there or not, if it is not there vgscan will not recreate /etc/lvmtab file

thanks and regards

Sajjad Sahir

Sean M.
Advisor

Sorry for the extraordinary time to reply to this, but Sajjad's reply ended up being the correct answer.  The directory for the volume group was present, but another administrator had removed the group file and moved the lvmtab off.  After recreating the group file with the correct minor number I was able to get vgscan to detect the volume group.