4496 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VG00 recovery using Ignite

Paul Cadieux
Occasional Advisor

VG00 recovery using Ignite

Hi,

I have a system that has both internal and external disk. I am replacing the internal disks with new ones that will remain internal. The current internal disk holds VG00 and the external disk VG15. I will be using Ignite to restore VG00 to the new disk. I want to know if there are any gotcha's to be aware of. I have been told that I need to backup some files which will indicate to the system (once it is restored) that it has external disk (VG15) available to it. Apparently if I don't do this it will not recognise the fact that it has external disk after the restore.

Advise please.

Paul.
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: VG00 recovery using Ignite

Hi Paul:

'Ignite' will do a preview-mode 'vgexport' of all volume groups when you create a 'make_tape_recovery' tape. The mapfiles from this operation will be written to the '/etc/lvmconf' directory as '/etc/lvmconf/vgNN.mapfile'.

If the pv_paths to the various volume groups do not change as a result of the subsequent cold-installation process, then 'Ignite' will utilize these mapfiles to automatically 'vgimport' your non-vg00 volume groups. If, however, the physical disk's device files change (not uncommon), then you will need to manually 'vgimport' your non-vg00 volume groups. In this case, you might want knowledge of the presence of these mapfiles.

*However*, you should remember that the most basic LVM mapfile is nothing more than a file of records with a (minor) number for the volume group's logical volume followed by a blank and the logical volume name you wish to use:

1 lvol1
2 lvol2
3 mylvol

Regards!

...JRF...
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Since you will be essentially restoring to the same disk path, you should be fine.

Ignite/UX will back up the other VG configuration information.

What you can do to be on the safe side is do a:

# vgexport -v -p -m mapfile -s vgname

Take this information and transfer it somewhere. Then if your ignite doesn't bring the VG back, you can use this file to help in reimporting the VG. 'man vgexport' and 'man vgimport' for more information.
Paul Cadieux
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the good info. I looked for /etc/lvmconf/vgNN.mapfile and do not have such a file or even the lvmconf directory. I am using the "make_recovery" command instead of the "make_tape_recovery" command. Might this have something to do with it. Also, if the file is not where it should be, where else would it be written to. I have a series of file slocated in /var/opt/ignite/recovery/.

Paul
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Paul:

Do yourself a favor and download a current version of Ignite:

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/download.html

'make_recovery' is being obsolesced. In its place, use the much more robust 'make_tape_recovery':

To create an archive image of vg00, do:

# make_tape_recovery -x inc_entire=vg00 -I -v -a /dev/rmt/0mn

The '-I' option of 'make_tape_recovery' is the *same* as the '-i' option of 'make_recovery'. '-I' causes the Ignite process to be interactive when you (later) boot from the Ignite tape.

Regards!

...JRF...