New Discussion юеВ

Re: VXVM v-5-3-0 notice in startup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

VXVM v-5-3-0 notice in startup

I get the following starup notice when booting 11iv3 on a vxvm boot disk:

NOTICE:VXVM vxio V-5-0-0 Could not find VxVM entry in Kernel Registry Service, so root disk is being claimed by DMP

Can anyone tell me why I am seeing this. 11iv3 has its own built in multipathing why add to DMP?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thread moved from "Storage > storage area networks (SAN)" to "HP-UX > LVM and VxVM"--Forum's Moderator.
6 REPLIES 6
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Peter,

> 11iv3 has its own built in multipathing
> why add to DMP?
VxVM has and always will, use, DMP as the default of its multipathing.

This is because DMP is at the very core of vxvm and offcourse offers much more features then 11iv3 multipathing. (and not using DMP with vxvm, is a bit like going to a pub that doesnt serve beer)

Using 11iv3 multipathing instead of vxvm's DMP, can be done and will work, together with removing some vxvm features, but will require some configuration on the vxvm side.

I think the release notes/admin guide of vxvm 5.0, will show what to do, to get it going.

Greetz,
Chris
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Chris. Any ideas why I get the message?
Raj D.
Honored Contributor

Peter,

>
NOTICE:VXVM vxio V-5-0-0 Could not find VxVM entry in Kernel Registry Service, so root disk is being claimed by DMP

This is a normal message if you are using VxVM and not LVM, and nothing harm , there is a symantec knowledge base about it. You can search you ll find it.

Hth,
Raj.
" If u think u can , If u think u cannot , - You are always Right . "
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Peter,

"show me" vxdisk -o alldgs list, vxdmpadm listctlr all, vxdisk list , swlist|grep -i vxvm

Greetz,
Chris
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

Thanks guys. Found the answer in the release notes.
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

This is a known message and is documented in the release notes.