New Discussion

VxVM 5.0.1 and Mirror UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
rventura
Frequent Advisor

VxVM 5.0.1 and Mirror UX

Hello,

So i recently did a fresh install of 11.31 on one of our servers, it is noted that the default it is to use VxVM 5.0.1 and i just toniced some changes on the device files used in LVM.

Before we would use device files like: /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 to create PVs and so on. However, when i was inspecting the already created VG00 i noticed that it showed:

--- Physical volumes ---
PV Name /dev/disk/disk3

So my question is, in order to mirror my boot disk, do i just need to follow the same old documentation and just change the device file used from /dev/dsk/cXtXdX to /dev/disk/diskX...? Or are there other considerations i need to take before doing this?

Anyone care to share some ideas or documentation on this matter?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VxVM 5.0.1 and Mirror UX

The /dev/disk/disk# vs /dev/dsk/c?t?d? device files are due to the I/O stack on HP-UX 11.31.  

There are multiple white-papers on the new I/O stack available here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=3367813

As far as mirroring goes -- Yes, you can substitute the new /dev/disk/disk# device file for the old /dev/dsk/c?t?d? device files.  Other than that, you mirroring procedures are exactly the same.

Emil Velez_2
Trusted Contributor

Re: VxVM 5.0.1 and Mirror UX

You can have vxvm use the agile device files by doing

vxddladm set naming_scheme=osn mode=new

You say you use VxVM 5.01 but you mention lvm.. If your system is using a VXVM boot disk you should mirror using vxvm vxrootmir command in /opt/VRTS/bin

Emil Velez
Instructor Storage, Servers, HP-UX and Partner Courses
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Education Services
Ask me about training on StoreServ (3PAR) StoreOnce, StoreEasy, StoreAll, StoreVirtual, HP-UX, ServiceGuard and HPE Partner Ready Certification Training

internet: Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/emilvelez

HPE Master ASE Server Solutions Architect V3
HPE Master ASE Storage Solutions Architect V2
HP UNIX Certified (ASE HPUX 11iv3 Administration V1)
Certified HPE Instructor
HPE Product Certified - OneView [2016]
HP Sales Certified -Servers, Converged Systems and Services [2015]
HPE Product Certified - Converged Solutions [2017]