108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

XP256 and 2 Hosts

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniel LaBonte
Occasional Contributor

XP256 and 2 Hosts

My questions , that no one seems to beable to answer is this, we have an xp256 array with two Lclass servers connected via fc. We have 12 physical drives mirrored leaving 6 47gb useable. What I need to know is it possible to create two vgroups using all 6 drives split down the middle 50/50? Or must I use 3 drives for one Lclass and 3 drives for the other Lclass? This all stems from the pvcreate command can I create the same drive on both Lclasses so that I could split them 50/50.

just wondering
d
4 REPLIES 4
Matt Walls
Advisor
Solution

Re: XP256 and 2 Hosts

i think i understand your question.

how big are your lun sizes? if your lun size is the whole drive (47 gig) then you must split them.

remember, only one host can control have control of a disk at any given time.

make sense?
Matt Walls
Advisor

i think i understand your question.

how big are your lun sizes? if your lun size is the whole drive (47 gig) then you must split them.

remember, only one host can control have control of a disk at any given time.

make sense?
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

If I understand what you are asking correctly, then "NO". One server or the other at any one time must own the physical device (as represented by the pvcreate).
Only one operating system (server) can control a physical disk or chaos would result.

You CAN share volume groups between servers under specially controlled circumstances, as for instance with MC/ServiceGuard. For an insight into what this means to LVM, see the 'vgchange' (1M) man pages.

Hopefully this helps.

...JRF...
Daniel LaBonte
Occasional Contributor

I thank u both my question has been satisfied...

I've also learned today that the XP256 will actually create LDEVs and mask them as a Physical Device. Interesting...