New Discussion юеВ

Re: diskinfo

SOLVED
Go to solution
Salm
Frequent Advisor

diskinfo

Hi Every one

I have D class server.I had a good swapable hard drive .one time I run mediainit utility before pvcreate.its light keep on for long time I wait arount 1.25 hours but light was still on. then I took the disk off. after that I checked with Diskinfo command and there is 0 input and output and shows" bytes per sector:0. I dont know how this thing corrupt. if I put it and run IOscan . it shows claimed . Any body can help me??
4 REPLIES 4
Jollyjet
Valued Contributor
Solution

Salm media init will take nearly 3 to 5 hours to get complete the work in the mean while you had disconnected the disk try to create pv using pvcreate -f and vg and get back you have any errors if not run the media init again and wait for 5 hours.
Salm
Frequent Advisor

thanks Joyliet

I didnt know it takes much time . now I will try again with enough time
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Mediainit is actually a command to tell the firmware to perform a low level format on the disk -- and is NOT recommended for HP-UX disks. It has no relationship to a PC format command. Once started, it must be allowed to complete. You can safely assume that each 10 gigabytes on disk will need about an hour. So if you have a 4Gb disk, it will take about 30 minutes, but a 70Gb disk may require 7-8 hours. Because you stopped it before it finished, you'll have to let it finish. Then don't mediainit disks any more. pvcreate does all you need to get it ready for LVM.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Danny Baldono
Frequent Advisor

Normally mediainit is used to check the integrity of the disk if you are doubting
if it 100 % ok. Normally done are after having a coruption problem. But if it is new
or just a replacement of the defective one,
you do not need to run mediainit, just do pvcreate.
Don't fix a good machine or you will end up fixing it.