1753792 Members
6714 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: unrecognized vxfs version after vgimport

ArtemTroitsky
Occasional Advisor

unrecognized vxfs version after vgimport

Hi! We have two HP-UX 11.23. I created VG on host A, exported and imported it on host B, but when I try to mount any LV I get "unrecognized vxfs version" version error. Could anyone please suggest something I can do in this situation? I tried to import VG back to host A and I successfully mounted LV. fstyp shows unknow_fstyp. I tried to run fsck -V vxfs but with no success... Any comments and ideas are greatly appreciated!
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

I presume that you are running VxFS (JFS) version 4.1.  Do both host have patch PHCO_33308 (or its successor, PCHO_41860)?  If not, this may be your problem.

This patch notes note that:

Without this patch, the pvcreate(1M) and lvreduce(1M)
commands do not correctly recognize version 6 disk layout
of VxFS4.1. This can lead to potential data loss since
these commands can unknowingly overwrite data being managed
by this filesystem. Specifically, the pvcreate(1M) may
overwrite a disk containing a VxFS4.1 filesystem,  and the
lvreduce(1M) command may incorrectly truncate this
filesystem type.

Regards!

...JRF...

ArtemTroitsky
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the answer! You're right - the problem is in the patch installed, but not in the one you mentioned. I found differencies between the systems:

root@hostA:/ # swlist | grep -i vx
  EnableVxFS                    B.11.23.07     File-System library, commands enhancements for VxFS4.1 and 5.0
  PHCO_35425                    1.0            VRTS 5.0 MP1 VRTSvxfen Command Patch
  PHKL_35305                    1.0            VRTS 5.0 MP1 VRTSvxfs Kernel Patch
  PHKL_35424                    1.0            VRTS 5.0 MP1 VRTSvxfen Kernel Patch
  VRTSvxfen                     5.0.0.0        Veritas Fencing by Symantec
  VRTSvxfs                      5.0.01.04      Veritas File System
  VRTSvxmsa                     4.4-REVbuild010-2006.06.01 VxMS Application Deployment Package
  VRTSvxvm                      5.0            Veritas Volume Manager by Symantec

None of these packages and patches are installed on host B. I need to find which exactly will make everyting done... Could you please tell me whether it is possible to install requried patch from host A?

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

So you are running VxFS version 5.0 on one system (A) and version 4.1 (I assume) on system-B.

The VxFS notes clearly say, "VxFS 4.1 is the last major release to support Disk Layout Version 4 and Disk Layout Version 5. HP recommends upgrading any previously installed VxFS file system to the Disk Layout Version 6 available with VxFS 4.1."

Thus, if your layout version isn't six (6) then system-B won't mount the filesystem.  This has nothing whatsoever to do with the LVM layers.

You will need to upgrade the filesystem layout version on System-A before you can mount it on system-B.

Regards!

...JRF...

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Could you please tell me whether it is possible to install required patch from host A?

No.  Not unless you still have that patch depot on host A.  You could use swlist to find the source depot.  Once someone found that depot was still hanging around:

swlist -a install_source PHCO_35425  PHKL_35305 PHKL_35424 

Otherwise you'll need to download the patches from the HPSC.