5105 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: vgmodify invalid metadata contents error with version 2.1

David P Lavoie
Frequent Advisor

vgmodify invalid metadata contents error with version 2.1

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to extend the VG Max size setting on a volume group and I get the following error:

vgmodify: Error: Failed to preview physical volume "/dev/disk/disk6"
reconfiguration.
vgmodify: Physical volume could not be reconfigured due to invalid metadata contents.

There's 4 disks in this VG, it happens on this disk only. There's no stale PE, nothing seems wrong in diskinfo and pvdisplay. Is there a way to recover from this error?

2 REPLIES 2

You might try a vgcfgrestore to that disk, although that is assuming that the data in the VGRA was not already corrupt when the last change to the VG was made?

Has this VG already had vgmodify run on it in the past? What update release of 11.31 is this? Prior to the March 2010 update there were a few corner cases where a corruption might occur with vgmodify. If that fits your situation, you should log a call and request guidnace on using the "fixmeta" tools.

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
David P Lavoie
Frequent Advisor

Too many changes were made recently before I tried the vgmodify command. Both backup files in /etc/lvmconf are too recent to be useable. vgmodify was never run on that VG. VSOE March 2011 is the version running.

I guess I'll have to log a call with HP then. Thanks.