1753964 Members
7106 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ansic compiler isolation - can't find crt0.o

Vince Layton
Occasional Contributor

Ansic compiler isolation - can't find crt0.o

I'm trying to isolate the 11.01.07 ansic compiler so multiple users can run it from one location. When calling "cc" to link, ld returns the error "ls: Can't open /opt/langtools/lib/crt0.o". This will be true for a user's machine as they won't have the compiler installed locally. I tried to put the actual path to the isolated copy of crt0.o on the command line but still get the same error. Almost as if "ld" is hard-coded to only use /opt/langtools/lib/crt0.o when using "cc" as a front-end.

Is there any way to get an isolated compiler to work on HP-UX or another way to force ld to use the crt0.o file I want it to use?

Here's my current command line(slightly edited for brevity which will no doubt look weird pasted into this tiny window):

NLSPATH=/area/oss/build/areaoss/tools/hp9000_ux_10/compilers/ansic/11.01.07/bin/../lib/nls/msg/C/%N.cat /area/oss/build/areaoss/tools/hp9000_ux_10/compilers/ansic/11.01.07/bin/cc -t p,/area/oss/build/areaoss/tools/hp9000_ux_10/hpux11/usr/lib/cpp.ansi -t c,/area/oss/build/areaoss/tools/hp9000_ux_10/compilers/ansic/11.01.07/bin/../lbin/ccom -t l,/area/oss/build/areaoss/tools/hp9000_ux_10/hpux11/usr/bin/ld /area/oss/build/areaoss/tools/hp9000_ux_10/hpux11/usr/bin/../lib/crt0.o -O -lBSD -lpthread -Wl,+b -Wl,/usr/lib -L/area/oss/build/areaoss/export/hp9000_ux_10/usr/lib -L/area/oss/build/areaoss/adks/hp9000_ux_10/IV/gskit3/lib -o audit_test.X /area/oss/build/areaoss/obj/hp9000_ux_10/oss/common/audit/audit_test/audit_test.o -losseal -lpdsvcutl
/area/oss/build/areaoss/tools/hp9000_ux_10/hpux11/usr/bin/ld: Can't open /opt/la
ngtools/lib/crt0.o
/area/oss/build/areaoss/tools/hp9000_ux_10/hpux11/usr/bin/ld: No such file or di
rectory
2 REPLIES 2
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Vince Layton
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the links. This thread seems to imply that you must install the compiler locally on a machine, which kind of screws our master plan to isolate the compilers our customers use. We seem to have
successfully isolated compilers for AIX, Solaris, NT and Linux so I was hoping to get the HP compilers working.

If anyone knows of a way to contact the compiler group to ask this question directly, I'd appreciate hearing it. We have customers that have to use the 11 and 11i compilers on their product and I haven't seen another way to access 2 HP compilers other than our isolated-compiler scheme.