New Discussion юеВ

Re: DBD-Oracle

SOLVED
Go to solution
Reymond  Keiluhu
Honored Contributor

DBD-Oracle

Hello All,

I'm quite new to perl-dbd/dbi world. I have installed and run successfully perl DBD-Oracle module. but I'm bit curious about something, which is, you know when we build DBD-Oracle from the source we must set the environment variable for ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_USERID, ORACLE_SID etc.

my question is, how do we build an DBD-Oracle on one perl instance to connect more than one instance of Oracle? is it possible to do that without installing different perl instance located on different location?
thanks.
/rk
7 REPLIES 7
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor

As long as all the Oracle instances are the same (in respect to Oracle version and bitness), you can use one DBI/DBD script to connect to multiple databases simultaneously

# man DBI

and

# man DBD::Oracle

and then look for the $dbh->connect () calls
There you can define the database to connect to

Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

From what I remember DBD-Oracle will respect the current values of ORACLE_SID et all.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Reymond  Keiluhu
Honored Contributor

thanks for the response.

does it mean that we cannot utilize one perl instance to connect to different oracle instance located on different machine?
/rk
Oviwan
Honored Contributor

Hy, of course you can if i understood your question right. look the attachement.

Regards
Reymond  Keiluhu
Honored Contributor

ok that's answer my question, and the restriction apply as mentioned by Procura.

the next question, if we can specify username & password for each database in the script, why do we need to specify environment variable ORACLE_USERID when we build DBD-Oracle? is that only the default?
/rk
H.Merijn Brand (procura
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes. It is needed for building and testing.

Those %ENV variables are used to connect () if no specific DBI_DSN is passed.
Exploring deeper functionality of connect () will open a parallel universe :)

Reymond  Keiluhu
Honored Contributor

solved. thanks a lot guys.
/rk