1754119 Members
3412 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DCL to program

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

DCL to program

I have a big DCL script and I would like to convert it to a program. Is there any free tool available to migrate it automatically without manual corrections afterwards ?
Reason : performance.

Wim
Wim
23 REPLIES 23
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: DCL to program

Wim,

as far as I know, there is no such tool.

In former days there was a tool to convert DCL to FORTRAN, but I don't know what happened to it.

Since DCL may perform a lot of substition or image activations during runtime, the performance benefit of a high level language is questionable.

mfg Kalle
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

I have not seen one. The performance gain depends on what the DCL does but can be significant especially if you program what is intended rather than a literal translation.

Any hints of how to improve performance are also welcome. Are there logicals that can influence DCL ?

I already
1) optimized working set size
2) minimized number of char for a command
3) installed freq used commands

The script is 4000 lines and is using a lot of gosub's. Calls are used less because resulting in extra load.

Wim
Wim
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

depends on the dcl but a lot of DCL runs lots of images so it helps if the images are installed (at least open/header). Often the frequent image activation overhead is the thing that takes most time so if you can run less images or less often then its a good thing.

Wim,

I'm sure you did already:
- squeeze the procedure using DCL_DIET or an
equivalent tool
- may be put it on a ramdisk
- tweak RMS parameters to faster read the
procedure

mfg Kalle
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Karl,

Is ramdisk still needed with the file cache ?

The procedure is executed once and stays active for days or weeks. Is DCL reading it again and again or how is this working in detail ?

I did a manual diet but want to keep it readable.

Wim
Wim
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

I suppose a Ramdisk... is then not needed, if
it stays online for days.

May be it is possible to reduce the number of image activations, e.g. I have seen examples, where a routine does:
$ image par1
$ image par2
$ image par2
which could be replaced by
$ image
par1
par2
par3
(simple example, I know :-])

mfg Kalle
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Karl,

Thx for the suggestion. I already did it but forgot to mention it.

Wim
Wim
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Did the dcldiet version run significantly faster?

Have you done the basic performance analysys where you for example identify which chunk is slow? For example:
- maybe the procedure has an init, read, sort, update, delete, report, exit phase and only a single stage reallly defines the time.
- maybe there there are a few loops. What is the order of magnitude of the loop count? thousands? millions? The millions loop should probably be a program.

How about a partial solution? Maybe a particula file analysis phase is more readily done in... perl ?

Show us / describe the part the you think hurts, and maybe we see a speedier solution
(provide sample input/output data if appropriate).

Groetjes,
Hein.