Operating System - OpenVMS
1748250 Members
3518 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Decforms compilation output - mismatch with the Decform source file line numbers.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Notilus007
Occasional Advisor

Decforms compilation output - mismatch with the Decform source file line numbers.

When I compile a decform (IFDL) source file, I get a compilation output with error line numbers that do not match the line numbers in the source file itself.

Does anybody know a way to tell the compiler to indicate the corresponding errors line number from the source file itself?

12 REPLIES 12
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: Decforms compilation output - mismatch with the Decform source file line numbers.

Notilus007
Occasional Advisor

Re: Decforms compilation output - mismatch with the Decform source file line numbers.

I don't think there is a /LIST quliflier there.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Notilus007
Occasional Advisor

The actual compilation command that I use is :

$FORMS TRANSLATE file_name.IFDL

The compilation output that I get is :

3016               Pan el ICA_TRT779_data_PANEL

%FORMS-E-SYNTAXERR, syntax error; an expected keyword, name or literal is missing or misspelled.

-FORMS-I-EXPECTED, one of the following was expected: ALL, WAIT, ICON, FIELD, GROUP, PANEL, BUTTON, CORRESPONDING.

3016               Pan el ICA_TRT779_data_PANEL

%FORMS-E-SYNTAXERR, syntax error; an expected keyword, name or literal is missing or misspelled.

-FORMS-I-ONEXPECTED, the following was expected: ON

3163           Copy

-FORMS-I-EXPECTED, one of the following was expected: APPLY, HELP, PANEL, MESSAGE, END.

3165           End Copy

-FORMS-I-ONEXPECTED, the following was expected: LAYOUT

3171              Copy

-FORMS-I-ONEXPECTED, the following was expected: _/End_of_Line/_

3173           End Copy

-FORMS-I-ONEXPECTED, the following was expected: FORM

%FORMS-W-NONCOMMENT, non comment text after END FORM has been ignored.

Unfortunately the line numbers do not match the line numbers on the source file (file_name.IFDL)

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hmmm, the user provided names reported in the error messages appear relatively unique. 

Simply search for each occurance?

Are the line number in 'range' at all? 

Are there copy/include files involved?

Can create a DCL/Awk/Perl script to execute the includes inline 'blowing up' the source and compile the result or just use the indicate error line numbers as pointers into that exploded result?

Maybe the line numbers will match that way?

fwiw,

Hein

Notilus007
Occasional Advisor

There are copy/include files involved, but how can I have the output with error line numbers matching those in the original source file and not the LIST file ?
Somehow it works fine when I compile HP Cobol files.
Tom Wetty
Advisor

I do not code in DECForms, but I appears to me that the compiler is telling you what the error is; the error appears to me to be an imbedded space in the verb "PAN EL"  in your defintion. OpenVMS does not like embedded spaces in most commands and languages.

The other error is that the command COPY is not recognized by the DECforms compiler, is this the correct syntax and is the copy is the correct progression of the form definition ?   If it is, then it is just a secondary error caused because the PANEL verb failed from above.

Please review your syntax.  Just curious, did you use some kind of automated program to generate this code in the first place ? This could explan the gotchas here.

Line numbering in all OpenVMS langages and compilers is a bit complicated because all the included data, functions and library definitions are included in the source at compile time and are added to line counts. These additional line are accounted for in the compliation and can extensive.  There may be a way to do this but if the error is evident do you really need the line number to find the error?  

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor