108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expand a path passed to a script

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Tesch
Advisor

First, my apologies, I addressed a previous reply to Victor when it should have been addressed to Ivan.

Leif - Thanks for the input but dirname and basename do not expand relative paths. They were one of my first attempts.

James - I appricate the quick response. I'll look into updating my perl and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks to all,

Steve
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Still trying:

APP_PATH=/database/app
FULLPATH=`cd $APP_PATH/$1; pwd`
echo $FULLPATH
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

And going, and going...

APP_PATH=/var/adm/syslog
RELATIVE=`echo $1 |grep "^\."|wc -l`

# If the arg starts with dot, then is a relative path, else just use the specified path
if [ $RELATIVE -gt 1 ]; then
REALPATH=`cd $APP_PATH/$1;pwd`
fi
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Steve:

The perl update is quick and simple and so, so worthwhile. Perl 5.8.x has incorporated lots of good things into its core.

Regards!

...JRF...
Steve Tesch
Advisor

Ivan,

Your solution works if the user passes a directory, and is very similar to the method I uploaded. However if they are passing a filename, it gets an error.

I need a solution for both possibilities.

Thanks for the continued effort.

Steve
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I did not see your previous reply addressed to victor (me) about the file.

Steve Tesch
Advisor

Ivan,

Your new solution works in most cases but not all. If you pass it a sub-directory of the current directory, it will return the current directory, instead of the full path to the sub-directory.

Your first solution did not have this problem. Also, this solution still can't handle a filename.

Thanks again,

Steve
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

CUR=/abc/def
DIR=$(dirname ../xyz/abc.txt)
FILE=$(basename ../xyz/abc.txt)

cd $DIR
ABSOLUTE=$(pwd)

FULL_PATH=${ABSOLUTE}/${FILE}

it should work also with an absolute path or a filename only

Rodney Hills
Honored Contributor
Solution

You could compile the following c program that takes a path as its only argument and returns the real path. (Even compiles with the brain dead supplied cc compiler).

#include
main(argc,argv,envp)
int argc;
char *argv[],*envp[];
{
char realp[255];
(void)realpath(argv[1],realp);
printf("%s\n",realp);
exit(0);
}

HTH

-- Rod Hills
There be dragons...
Steve Tesch
Advisor

Leif,

Very close! However, if the user passes a path or filename that is already in absolute format (i.e. /home), your solution doubles the initial forward slash (i.e. //home). If they pass the root directory, it returns three forward slashes (i.e. ///).

Thanks for the effort,

Steve