1748181 Members
3675 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Financial Organizations that are working on OpenVMS

Notilus
Occasional Contributor

Financial Organizations that are working on OpenVMS

Can somebody help me with getting a list of large financial organizations that are working on OpenVMS around the world.
7 REPLIES 7
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Why do you want this list?

You can find some on the Success Stories page
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/success-stories.html

However many OpenVMS customers do not want their names mentioned in publicity so I think may have a problem getting a comprehensive list.

Just put "OpenVMS in Exchanges and Finance Sector" in Google and you will find a discussion in the Inquirer about Linux at the LSE providing a partial list of financial institutions publicly known to use OpenVMS.

Cheers!

Keith
Keith Cayemberg
Consultant
Wipro Technologies
Notilus
Occasional Contributor

Well, I would like to contact some of these companies that work on OpenVMS , to get a better understanding of which development and deployment tools they are using on VMS.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

the companies mentioned use VMS but may not develop the software they use.

I'm here guessing at several possible reasons for your query.

If this is a commercial product offering, then the HP AllianceONE program is your path toward establishing general contacts with other existing HP customers, and with customers that might be interested in your offerings. (And you likely won't get a list of HP customers.)

Or you can write up a technical article on your product, and submit it to the VMS Technical Update.

The other commercial path is to purchase lists of customers from various providers of these lists, and perform a direct mailing of some sort.

If this is non-commercial or general research and where you're not looking to spend money to purchase lists, then AllianceONE isn't an option and the direct approach likely won't work. You'll be using Google or other research tools to build contacts, or posting up information at a web site that might interest your target audience, or potentially working with HP to see if there's any interest in this topic area.

If you're looking not to sell but to discuss, then narrowing yourself and your research to financial houses is probably not going to get you the widest view of development. IDEs and application deployment aren't topics that are particularly specific to any one industry.

And without putting this too bluntly, VMS is not known for its software development tools, nor for its deployment tools, nor for its software update processes, and most of what is available here is discussed in the manuals and was discussed over in your previous IDE thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Languages-and-Scripting/COBOL-editor-for-VMS-with-colors/m-p/4761059#M8171

Various of the modern programming languages do have integrated tools that can assist with large-scale deployments and with upgrades and logging and related. Java, Ruby, Python, Lua, etc.. COBOL is not among these languages. There's also nothing within VMS akin to the Sparkle Framework for updating your applications, for instance.

Notilus
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply,

My research is a non commercial one,
and its' main purpose is to find large financial organizarions - banks or credit cards companies that work with VMS and develop their software on VMS , and which developments and deployment tools they are using.
Stanley F Quayle
Valued Contributor

I do know of a company that creates credit union software. They use C. They're trying move to Windows.

They forced their biggest customer to the Windows product. In a few days, the customer changed to another vendor's software.

I suspect their Windows development procedure is similar to their VMS procedure -- grab the latest stuff from the developer disks and compile it.

I won't disclose their name because I still have a friend that works there. But at the rate they're bleeding customers, it might not be for long.
http://www.stanq.com/charon-vax.html