New Discussion юеВ

Re: Find it and mod it

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Find it and mod it

Guru's,
I am hopelessly lost here. I need a script that will local all initiation files like .login .cschrc .logout .profile .bash_profile and so on..... in every users home directory and execute a chown to that user, while also setting those files permissions to absolute 740. I am lost.
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
12 REPLIES 12
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you are using /etc/passwd

Test whether it lists the home directories:

for i in `cat /etc/passwd |grep bnoble |awk -F ":" '{print $6}'`; do echo $i; done

chmod the files:

for i in `cat /etc/passwd |awk -F ":" '{print $6}'`; do chmod 740 .profile;chmod 740 .bashrc ;chmod 740 .cshrc; done
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Sorry no bnoble, I was testing.

for i in `cat /etc/passwd |awk -F ":" '{print $6}'`; do echo $i; done

for i in `cat /etc/passwd |awk -F ":" '{print $6}'`; do chmod 740 .profile;chmod 740 .bashrc ;chmod 740 .cshrc; done
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

for i in `cat /etc/passwd |awk -F ":" '{print $6}'`; do chmod 740 $i/.profile;chmod 740 $i/.bashrc ;chmod 740 $i/.cshrc; done
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Adam:

Try:

#!/usr/bin/sh
awk -F":" '$3>100 {print $3,$4,$6}' /etc/passwd | \
while read UID GID DIR X
do
chown ${UID}:$GID ${DIR}/.profile
chmod 740 ${DIR}/.profile
done
exit

...add whatever files you need to "fix"...

Regards!

...JRF...
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

James, in your example where you listed

chown ${UID}:$GID ${DIR}/.profile
chmod 740 ${DIR}/.profile

Would I simply add another line like :

chmod 740 ${DIR}/.forward and
chmod 740 ${DIR}/.ssh2 and so on? or can I list them all on the same line?
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

You could do either.

Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Thanks to both of you! I have to add a couple things but you have me on the proper path. Thanks Guys!!!!

Last question How would I do this and only do the entries in /home/"whoever" without using the /etc/password ?
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Adam:

> Last question How would I do this and only do the entries in /home/"whoever" without using the /etc/password ?

Why? It's '/etc/password' that holds the account's location for the HOME direcotory, so that's why I used it and that's how I drove it.

The '/etc/password' file should be world-readable so that shoudn't be any issue.

Notice too, that I skipped accounts with UID<100 since by convention these are sytsem accounts setup during a cold-install (or added later as for 'ssh').

Regards!

...JRF...
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

James, I only ask because we have several "generic accounts" that have a higher than 100 UID and would possibly need to be excluded, but since their home directories are listed in the /etc/passwd file, (and aren't /home/"name") I was hoping to exclude them, by only doing those accounts who's home directories reside in /home.