4902 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: For Alex Chupahin re. TclTk cpu usage

Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

For Alex Chupahin re. TclTk cpu usage

Alex,

I've noticed that when running wish with your VMS port of Tcl/Tk, when it is just sitting at the prompt it uses most of the available CPU time.

I think this is probably not limited to VMS, as the same thing happens with my Mac. (I haven't tried a Windows or Unix TclTk.) I think I even looked at the wish and/or Tk code once and saw that it is just spinning in a wait-loop waiting for an event.

VMS, of course, provides much less resource-intensive ways of waiting for things to happen. Do you see any practical way around this, or would it require a great deal of rewriting core parts of Tcl or Tk?

(I tried to send you a note recently by regular e-mail but I don't know whether you got it, given all that can happen to e-mail between here and there. Did you get anything on this subject recently?)

Thanks,

Galen Tackett
2 REPLIES 2
Alex Chupahin
Super Advisor

Hello!
Thanks for testing it. I

>I've noticed that when running wish with your
>VMS port of Tcl/Tk

Do you simply start wish without arguments?
It is true in such case.
tcltk ported to OpenVMS is not for interactive use, but for scripts. I dont wish to solve this problem with wish (word joke :) ) just now - I have no a lot of free time, but can see into later.

>I tried to send you a note recently by regular
>e-mail

Sorry, I have a little troubles with mail email just now.
Galen Tackett
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Alex, for your comments.

I've also tried out vtcl with the VMS TclTk port. It also consumes all the available CPU.

This is not a big concern for me. I was just trying it out, but don't really need to use it.

I can certainly agree with you about a lack of free time. There's so much I'd like to be doing but I just don't have time.

I have a DS10 at home with VMS V8.3 but I almost never turn it on. I also have a PowerMac G4/1.3GHz OS X 10.4.10 but I use it almost entirely for e-mail and web browsing.

But that's just life...