Operating System - HP-UX
1752401 Members
5648 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Aries Emulation Migration of C, Sybase 11.9 and SQR 3.0 running at PA-RISC servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gd2
Advisor

HP Aries Emulation Migration of C, Sybase 11.9 and SQR 3.0 running at PA-RISC servers

I have old set of C applications which runs on HP-UX 11.0 (9000/800/L3000-8x). These apps use Sybase 11.9 and SQR 3.0 (its ancient).

We are considering moving to HP Itanium. One of the approaches was to re-compile the C code , Sybase libs and SQR libs at HP itanium. But this wont work because the version of SQR - 3.0 is ancient and wont recompile at HP Itanium. Same might apply for Sybase 11.9 too ( We use "cpre" sybase command to generate isql files).

So the logical next step is to emulate C apps, SQR and SYbase at HP Itanium through HP Aries. I have some doubts -

1) Can I compile my code in PA-RISC mode at HP Itanium so that generated binaries would be PA_RISC compatible (can run via Aries) instead of native Itanium binaries? The reason being in future after PA-RISC servers are decomissioned, any changes could be accomodated at Itanium.

2) Can the existing PA-RISC binaries - C, SQR 3.0 and Sybase 11.9 run properly at HP Aries?

3) How would I know if Aries is installed at HP ITanium?

Please help.
21 REPLIES 21
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HP Aries Emulation Migration of C, Sybase 11.9 and SQR 3.0 running at PA-RISC servers

Hi:

1) As far as I know there is no way to create PA-RISC code on an Itanium architecture.

2) Yes, existing PA-RISC binaries, that are not kernel intrusive will run just fine under Aries. The performance you achieve may be a bit less so you are always advised to benchmark, Your mileage may vary. See the 'ARIES(5)' manpages for some very good details.

3) Aries is intrinsically part of the Itanium. There is nothing to add nor nothing to do.

Aside from the ARIES(5) manpages,[also available on the web at:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02255323/c02255323.pdf

...more details can be found at the "Knowledge-on-Demand" subsite -- click the "+" icon just above the topic you want here:

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/w1/en/os/hpux11i-kod-overview.html

Regards!

...JRF...
Gd2
Advisor

Re: HP Aries Emulation Migration of C, Sybase 11.9 and SQR 3.0 running at PA-RISC servers

Thanks for you inputs JRF. Its really helpful as usual.

It seems that PA-RISC Aries emulation is an stop gap solution then ? In my case, since I cannot recompile and transition my old code to Itanium, the only way out is probably a re-write of the applications?

From your response I can infer that I cannot create PA-RISC compatible binaries at HP ITanium by any means. So even if I were to successfully port my application binaries at Itanium through Aries, I may not be able to make future code changes and run in aries ( since PA-RISC box would be decommissioned).

Is there any other way other than rewriting my code and run it at Itanium and maintain the application ?

Please help.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

With regard to your first question, it appears that my first answer was wrong. See:

http://www.hp.com/go/xpade

Regards!

...JRF...
Gd2
Advisor

Thanks JRF ! Some hope now.

I went through the documentation of XPADE. Can you please confirm my following understanding?

1) Aries can only run PA-RISC binaries. It cannot be used to compile PA-RISC code.

2) To port PA-RISC Code - The approach would be to compile and link the code via XPADE into PA-RISC binaries and then run the binaries via Aries. is that correct?

3) Does XPADE support code running on HP-UX 11.0 at HP 9000 server?

Please advise

Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

hp 9000 containers can compile code using a backup of a PA system and create PA executibles.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>1) Aries can only run PA-RISC binaries. It cannot be used to compile PA-RISC code.

It can run the PA compilers.

>2) To port PA-RISC code - The approach would be to compile and link the code via XPADE into PA-RISC binaries and then run the binaries via Aries. is that correct?

Yes.

>3) Does XPADE support code running on HP-UX 11.00?

Only if the code just happens to work for 11.11, which is very likely if the code isn't kernel intrusive.

>JRF: 3) There is nothing to add nor nothing to do.

You may need newer Aries patches.
Rajesh K Chaurasia
Valued Contributor

As suggested XPADE can be used to develop PA-RISC applications on Integrity. If your code is strictly C/C++ XPADE would be best fit.

http://www.hp.com/go/xpade

XPADE built software is not supported for deployment back on PA-RISC (technically it may work though) and must be used on Integrity under ARIES.

In case, XPADE does not provide all the components needed to for your development environment, consider using HP 9000 Containers

http://www.hp.com/go/hp9000-containers

With container based approach you can replicate the PA-RISC installed system image inside on Integrity server to be used as virtual root file system by containers. You can build, test, deploy PA-RISC software with HP 9000 Containers.

Regards
-Rajesh
Gd2
Advisor

Thanks Dennis and Rajesh. You have been very helpful.

Some open questions -

1) Regardless I use HP 9000 Containers or XPADE, the code needs to be Aries compliant right ?

2) Are HP 9000 containers or XPADE licensed?

3) My code runs on HP-UX 11.0 , So running it on XPade or HP 9000 containers, I need to first move it to 11.11 version , test and make it 11.11 complaint. If and only if this steps works, I can be hopeful that it would work on Itanium. Is that correct?

4) Please pardon my limited understanding, but moving from 11.00 to 11.11 - is this a OS upgrade? How complex is it ?

It would be kind of you if could reply back with some answers. Eagerly waiting for it

Thanks,

GD2

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>1) Regardless I use HP 9000 Containers or XPADE, the code needs to be Aries compliant right?

Yes.

>2) Are HP 9000 containers or XPADE licensed?

Not sure about the former. I think the XPADE assumes you have a compiler license for your PA box.

3) My code runs on 11.00, So running it on XPade or HP 9000 containers, I need to first move it to 11.11 version, test and make it 11.11 complaint.

I wouldn't bother going to the 11.11 intermediate step, just try it on Integrity.

>4) but moving from 11.00 to 11.11 - is this a OS upgrade? How complex is it?

Yes, it's an upgrade or cold install. Not sure, it's been a decade.
The source changes should be very minor and at one time there was an "I guarantee it" program saying applications would just work.