t/base64.t
    t/bitbuf.t

all files in the distributive.

What I'm doing wrong?

15 REPLIES 15
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Perl CPAN modules installation problem

Various versions of various manifest checkers in the Perl world are case sensitive, which tends not to give expected results under circumstances where filename case is not (by default) preserved.  Most likely you can ignore these warnings and build anyway.

Or get any version of Perl from 5.10 onward (5.14.2 is current) because DIgest::SHA has long since been included in the Perl core.

Alex Chupahin
Super Advisor

Ok, thank you.
Then I should do "MMK"

$mmk...
Copy/NoConfirm shasum [.blib.script]shasum

and nothing more.
What can I do?
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

The full sequence is:

$ perl Makefile.PL

$ mmk

$ mmk test

$ mmk install

The penultimate command will run any tests distributed with the module and tell you whether everything looks ok.   The last command will likely require privileges and will add the module to your Perl installation.

Alex Chupahin
Super Advisor

ok, full sequence:

$perl Makefile.PL

Checking if your kit is complete...
Warning: the following files are missing in your kit:

$mmk

Copy/NoConfirm shasum [.blib.script]shasum

and nothing more. It looks like incomplete procedure, because

in unix there are many strings shows me a compilation the shared library SHA.so

$mmk test

MCR dka500:[sys0.syscommon.perl5_8_6]perl.exe "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "te
st_harness(0, '[.blib.lib]', '[.blib.arch]')" t/*.t
t/allfcns......
Can't locate Digest/SHA.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /SYS$SYSROOT/SYSMGR/ALEX/GNU/
CLAMAV/DIGEST-SHA-5_63/blib/lib

Ok, I can copy SHA.PM file into [.BLIB.LIB.DIGEST] by hands

once more:

$mmk test

MCR dka500:[sys0.syscommon.perl5_8_6]perl.exe "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "te
st_harness(0, '[.blib.lib]', '[.blib.arch]')" t/*.t
t/allfcns......
Can't locate loadable object for module Digest::SHA in @INC (@INC contains: /SYS
$SYSROOT/SYSMGR/ALEX/GNU/CLAMAV/DIGEST-SHA-5_63/blib/lib /SYS$SYSROOT/SYSMGR/ALE
X/GNU/CLAMAV/DIGEST-SHA-5_63/blib/arch

looks like missing share library. (in unix this step is present).

And looks like broken installation procedure.

What I'm doing wrong?

I'm using VMS perl rarely from time to time, but  many years since 5.04(or like it) and never seen any working cpan modules in VMS perl. Previously, I found workarounds (do the work in unix perl and copy results to VMS to continue work), but now I SHOULD do some work in VMS and need some CPAN modules installed.

Help me please.

Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

Something's broken in your set-up, but I've seen many working Perl modules on VMS, including Digest::SHA, so there's hope.  But you're using an old and unsupported version of Perl with an unknown version of MMK and trying to build the latest Digest::SHA, which has not been tested with your toolchain.  The only free advice I can offer is to upgrade to a current and supported version of Perl.  And check that you have the latest MMK.  Since the last three major Perl releases already include Digest::SHA, you won't  need to build it, and you'll have more up-to-date build facilities if you do need to build any other extensions.

If you absolutely must use the HP-supplied Perl 5.8.6, you could try to get support from HP on it.  They will probably tell you to look for community support.  You can tell them back that the community has officially de-supported versions prior to 5.12, so if HP wants its customers to use the obsolete version HP distributes, then HP will need to support it.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

>Previously, I found workarounds (do the work in unix perl and copy results to VMS to continue work), but now I SHOULD do some work in VMS and need some CPAN modules installed.

This particular sentence makes "Nuke and Pave" look like the best remediation for this installation environment.

To continue what Mr Berry wrote, you're seeking to continue to patch ancient software, and particularly with unknown workarounds and changes and with bits of a Unix Perl build lurking.  Download the current (community) bits, and a recent MMK.  Delete the Perl directories (or RENAME them out of the default locations), and install and configure a recent and fresh Perl distro and add the necessary modules.  Start over.

Your other option is to start debugging your environment, and that's likely going to take longer.

Having a relatively pristine Perl installation environment also means that the kits and related pieces that you are probably porting are more likely to be portable to other Perl installations and other OpenVMS platforms, if that's your goal here.  Porting packages from a heavily customized environment tends to be more difficult.

Alex Chupahin
Super Advisor

Ok, I'm trying to compile latest  5.14.2 perl:

@configure

@mmk

Compiling process was good until this error:

Making all in ext/DynaLoader
 MMK "all" /DESCRIPTION=descrip.mms /MACRO=("PERL_CORE=1")
MCR dka500:[sys0.syscommon.perl5_8_6]perl.exe "-MExtUtils::Command" -e rm_rf [--
]
Use of uninitialized value in chmod at /perl_root/lib/File/Path.pm line 199.
Can't make directory [--] read+writeable: no such file or directory at /perl_roo
t/lib/ExtUtils/Command.pm line 95
Can't read [--]: directory not found at /perl_root/lib/ExtUtils/Command.pm line
Can't remove directory ../../: directory not found at /perl_root/lib/ExtUtils/Co
mmand.pm line 95
Use of uninitialized value in chmod at /perl_root/lib/File/Path.pm line 242.
and can't restore permissions to 0755
 at /perl_root/lib/ExtUtils/Command.pm line 95
Copy/NoConfirm  [--]
%DCL-W-INSFPRM, missing command parameters - supply all required parameters
%MMK-F-ERRUPD, error status %X00038048 occurred when updating target [--]
%MMK-F-ERRUPD, error status %X00038048 occurred when updating target [--]
Unsuccessful make(ext/DynaLoader): code=1024 at make_ext.pl line 463.
%NONAME-F-NOMSG, Message number 0C14803C
%MMK-F-ERRUPD, error status %X0C14803C occurred when updating target DYNALOADER.
OBJ

Please note, I tried to specify PREFIX to change installation directory

@Configure "-d" "-Dprefix=dka100:[perl5.]"

@mmk

with same error.

What I'm doing wrong?

What stable perl version I should use?

Hoff
Honored Contributor

If you installed the HP kit with PCSI, then PRODUCT REMOVE the old Perl bits.  Clean up any of the remaining Perl directory detritus from the failed build, temporarily remove or comment out the Perl commands from the startup and login, reboot, log in, issue the command DELETE /SYMBOL /GLOBAL /ALL to remove all local symbol-based customizations, then try the build again.

Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor

5.14.2 is the current stable release, so you're good there.

MMK is not a command procedure so you probably don't want the "@" in front of it.

It does look as though you are somehow building on top of the existing installation.  You don't need to remove that installation, but you do need to build somewhere else. 

The prefix only has to do with where Perl will be installed, not with the build as such.