1753890 Members
7618 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP-UX Developer's Toolkit for HP-UX 11i V2

Marc Galibourg
Occasional Contributor

HP-UX Developer's Toolkit for HP-UX 11i V2

The documentation about the "HP-UX Developer's Toolkit for HP-UX 11i V2" indicates that the links to Itanium shared libraries are delivered, but that the Itanium archive libraries are not deliverd as part of this ToolKit, so how can I get them ?
Especially, how can I get the archive librairies of libDtSvc and libtt for hpux32
(/usr/dt/lib/hpux32/) ?
3 REPLIES 3
doug hosking
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HP-UX Developer's Toolkit for HP-UX 11i V2

In general, you can't. Archive libraries cause far more compatibility headaches than can be justified by the (usually) small performance gain that comes from using them. This was a big factor in the decision to not make most archive libraries generally available for Itanium.

Imagine, for example, that someone found a security hole or other critical bug in libc or some other commonly used library. How many patches would it take to fix that if lots of code depended on the archive version of the library and had linked with it? How many patches would be required to fix the same problem in the shared library?

Is there some reason that the equivalent shared libraries are not sufficient for your needs?

Marc Galibourg
Occasional Contributor

Ok, in fact, we have to deliver our application to our customer, but the libraries libDtSvc and libtt for hpux32 are not installed on the customer's workstations. Our application is just a part of the overall software application and this one is rather critical, so we are not sure that our customer will accept to install anything else on his workstations, it is why we think about linking with archive librairies.
But our problem is now this one : how can we get these shared librairies and more precisely what kind of system part (or toolkit or depot ?) has to be installed on the customer's workstation to get these libraries ? Because, it doesn't seem to be a good idea to deliver these libraries in our installation package.
doug hosking
Esteemed Contributor

Patch PHSS_31110 seems to have the Itanium shared libraries in question. I'm by no means an expert on CDE, X Windows, etc. so others may be able to provide you with better information on dependencies. (It's quite possible that this patch won't install if you don't have CDE already installed, for example. I don't have time this morning to dig deeper into that.) I certainly agree that it's best if you don't directly include copies of these files in your product, for both legal and practical reasons.