Operating System - HP-UX
1752790 Members
5972 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is there any command that can analysing core file?

SOLVED
Go to solution
jack_8
Contributor

Is there any command that can analysing core file?

I have a programme. when i run it, i found it always core dump. I trace it and find core dumping from a library. so, i want to know some information about the enviroment before core dump. such as which method in the library cause core dumping. I use hp11 and aCC 3.25 compiler and I have no the src code of the library.
5 REPLIES 5
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

# file core

will tell you the fault reason.

See also, this thread:

http://my1.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,1150,0x00016d96588ad4118fef0090279cd0f9,00.html

...JRF...
jack_8
Contributor

thanks for your answer. your method can work. but I met anohter problem. My program use shl_load function to load a library. the core dump occured from the library. I try to use adb to debug. but when enter command $c. it tells me "can't unwind -- no_entry". I don't know how to deal with it.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

the most probable cause of the error
"can't unwind -- no_entry "

Is that the source was compiled with the default "shared libraries".

To use adb and debug a core file you must first recompile the source with -a archieve... Uh :(
Ed Hon
Regular Advisor

I've heard that vendors often compile their source code without a symbol table to prevent reverse engineering of their code. If you try to run adb against it, it gives you the "can't unwind" error.
Andy Bennett
Valued Contributor

While 'adb' has its uses, 'gdb'/'wdb' (available from http://www.hp.com/go/wdb) is a lot more useful since it understands threads, shared libraries and C++.

To get a stack trace using 'gdb':

$ gdb
(gdb) bt

Ed is right that a lot of programs get stripped before being released (run "file ", if it says "-not stripped" it stills has the symbols).