7879 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Issue with /dev/random

Tharish_1
Occasional Contributor

Issue with /dev/random

Hi Guys,

I have installed a netegrity software on HP-UX, looks like there is an issue with /dev/random. I have tried linking /dev/random to /dev/urandom the issue still persists.
Any Ideas?

February 7, 2005 11:53:53.330 AM[2279771:E] Exception Stack Trace: java.lang.InternalError: URLSeedGenerator file:/dev/random generated exception: Invalid argument
at sun.security.provider.SeedGenerator$URLSeedGenerator.getSeedByte(Seed
Generator.java:532)
at sun.security.provider.SeedGenerator.getSeedBytes(SeedGenerator.java:1
February 7, 2005 11:53:51.347 AM[2279771:I] Created Active Expression instance for class: com.netegrity.assertiongenerator.AssertionGenerator
February 7, 2005 11:53:53.330 AM[2279771:E] Exception Stack Trace: java.lang.InternalError: URLSeedGenerator file:/dev/random generated exception: Invalid argument
at sun.security.provider.SeedGenerator$URLSeedGenerator.getSeedByte(Seed
Generator.java:532)
at sun.security.provider.SeedGenerator.getSeedBytes(SeedGenerator.java:137)
at sun.security.provider.SeedGenerator.generateSeed(SeedGenerator.jav
a:132)
at sun.security.provider.SecureRandom.engineGenerateSeed(SecureRandom.java:112)
at sun.security.provider.SecureRandom.privateStaticInitHelpeR(SecureRandom.java:161)
at sun.security.provider.SecureRandom.engineNextBytes(SecureRandom.java:188)
at java.security.SecureRandom.nextBytes(SecureRandom.java:381)
at com.netegrity.assertiongenerator.SeedGenerator.generateSeed(SeedGenerator.java:65)
at com.netegrity.assertiongenerator.SeedGenerator.(SeedGenerator.java:35)@

4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I'm reading between the lines but it appears that you are trying to do an illegal operation on the /dev/random device. Only the read() system call is defined for this device and from the function name you may be trying to write to the device or perform an illegal ioctl() operation. Man 7 random for details.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Tharish_1
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I will get back to the vendor for that since I dont have access to the source code. I will be surprised since My understanding is /dev/random is supposed to be a read-only interface.
Tharish_1
Occasional Contributor

I created a manual random file and changed the /opt/java1.4/jre/lib/security/java.security file defention to that from /dev/urandom.
It works fine, but donâ t know if I can actually do this :-(

#securerandom.source=file:/dev/urandom
securerandom.source=file:/opt/bea/netegrity/rand
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

You need to install the /dev/random & urandom devices correctly. It REQUIRES a REBOOT!

http://docs.hp.com/en/5990-7263/ch01s01.html

live free or die
harry d brown jr
Live Free or Die